peeing in suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peeing in your wetsuit for the purpose of warming up won't do you any good. When you get cold, your body reduces blood flow to your skin to minimize cooling. When the warmness hits the skin your blood vessles will have opened up again. Since your sensory nerve endings are in your skin, you will feel warmer. However, once the warmth dissapates you will be exposed to the colder "water" and have to go through the process of diverting blood flow all over again.

It may not benefit your body, your wetsuit or your boat crew , but it simply feels good. I think I'll pick the clean suit.

SeanQ:
Peeing in your wetsuit for the purpose of warming up won't do you any good. When you get cold, your body reduces blood flow to your skin to minimize cooling. When the warmness hits the skin your blood vessles will have opened up again. Since your sensory nerve endings are in your skin, you will feel warmer. However, once the warmth dissapates you will be exposed to the colder "water" and have to go through the process of diverting blood flow all over again.

It may not benefit your body, your wetsuit or your boat crew , but it simply feels good. I think I'll pick the clean suit.

when you gotta go you gotta go! (when your in a wet suit that is...so far I have managed to keep my drysuit dry...thank god)

Nobody so far has mentioned one reason why, eventually, almost everybody does... a lot of dive boats, especially in the Caribbean, don't have heads! Really cuts down on the options. I'd rather not pee in my wetsuit, but I can't make it through 2 dives, the SI, and the boat rides out and back (and once you get back to the dock the nearest rest room may be a fair walk). It's a long time even without the immersion diuresis. Guys can pee off the side of the boat in a pinch, but it's harder for ladies. In really warm water, sometimes we'll take off our wetsuits between dives and go for a "swim" while the rest of the divers are boarding the boat. A bathing suit rinses out much faster than a wetsuit and doesn't get smelly (and it's easy to wash in the sink).

MissyP:
In my case, been there, done that, got the Depends (to keep my dry suit dry!). :D

:11:

Congrats on #100 by the way! :D

Chad_Ordelheide:
I agree you may not get too warm from fresh wizzzz... BUT your body does expend a lot of energy keeping the pee the same temperature as the body. Thats why when you get cold your reflex is to pee. Your body wants to get ride of anything it doesn't need to keep warm. So there isn't a benefit to keeping it inside, its just making more work for bodies temperature control.

Close, but actually, it doesn't have anything to do with 'expending alot of energy keeping the pee the same temperature as the body'.
Divers Alert Network - Immersion Diuresis

Your body is fooled that it has a fluid overload and is trying to rid itself of the fluid to preserve blood volume.

drl:
Nobody so far has mentioned one reason why, eventually, almost everybody does... a lot of dive boats, especially in the Caribbean, don't have heads! Really cuts down on the options. I'd rather not pee in my wetsuit, but I can't make it through 2 dives, the SI, and the boat rides out and back (and once you get back to the dock the nearest rest room may be a fair walk). It's a long time even without the immersion diuresis. Guys can pee off the side of the boat in a pinch, but it's harder for ladies. In really warm water, sometimes we'll take off our wetsuits between dives and go for a "swim" while the rest of the divers are boarding the boat. A bathing suit rinses out much faster than a wetsuit and doesn't get smelly (and it's easy to wash in the sink).

Yeah, I hear yah.

Last year on a trip, a lady-friend of mine was the only female on board, I felt bad for her when we had to stop the boat so she could get in the water, so I ended up jumping in with her to share the water .... now .... we are alot closer after sharing the water and holding hands while the rest of the boat and her hubbie looked on. :D

markfm:
I can see it now -- male diver arrested for exposing himself on the Spiegel Grove, film at 11 :)

I see many divers still putting their regs in the rinse tanks after dives. I used to do it myself till I realized, hey, that's pee water.

OK, a show of snorkels, how many divers still rinse their regs in the rinse tanks after dives?

Canadian_Diver:
:11:

Congrats on #100 by the way! :D

thank ya, thank ya very much :crafty:

Oh.. and the one time I did pee in my wetsuit, I'm not going to lie. It felt good- mainly because the water was c-c-cooold !!! 104 dives. 1 pee incident. Not bad :D

MissyP:
thank ya, thank ya very much :crafty:

Oh.. and the one time I did pee in my wetsuit, I'm not going to lie. It felt good- mainly because the water was c-c-cooold !!! 104 dives. 1 pee incident. Not bad :D

Well, if anyone ever sees me diving, and reefin' on the cuff of one of the legs on my shortie wetsuit... you know what I've just done. :D

There are 2 types of divers, those who pee in their wetsuits, and those who pee in their wetsuit and deny it. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom