Pelagic in Africa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jujjio

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi everyone!!
I have a quick question for you, probably not easy to answer but please I would love if you try.
I will be going to Africa to see big pelagic. Don't know where yet. it will really depends of this thread.
Can you name me 3 places you would want to spend 2 weeks of your time and money and dive with african pelagic??

Much appreciate your help
Many thanks!!

Excuse my illiteracy, but not sure precisely what you are looking for when you talk about pelagic.

I lived in south-east Africa for most of my childhood. I snorkeled South Africa extensively and dived Mozambique (Tofo area mostly). In my opinion, excellent place to dive.

We did our diving mostly out of Paindane and I've seen manta rays, sea turtles, and whale sharks. My sister and her husband had the pleasure of seeking humpback whales up close. Tons of other sea life, of course. The coral is some of the most lively I've seen. I found places like the Red Sea and Cozumel lackluster in comparison. But it's all subjective judgement.

Thanks for your help i have decide to go to Tofu, Sodwana bay, Protea banks and maybe Aliwal shoal...
I am thinking to book for Febuary will it be a good month to hopefully see a bit of everything?? or should i choose anther period?? we really want to see Hammer heads!!!
of course i have to go back in winter time for Whales......

Not sure what season the whales are there, but I've seen them regularly. When we were there in December 2014, people were surprised when we told them we saw humpbacks breaching. Apparently the last of them leave for the year in late November or early December. Not sure when they return.

Is it February a good month or isn't?

Can't be sure, I haven't been there in February, but I'd guess it would be a good time in terms of diving. It will be HOT! Summer on the coast gets very hot and humid so be ready for it!

My sister and her husband just returned from a trip there in July and said that their winter isn't a great time for diving. Conditions were rough with lots of white caps and surge on shallower reefs.

We are at Aliwal Shoal right now and saw sharks on every dive this week (mostly Raggies but also saw Black Tips on 2 dives & a school of Hammerheads on 1 dive). We have been told that February is a good month to come so that will be our plan next time.

Ok great! Many thanks!!! I think we will be going in november someone told me that at the begining of hammer heads season you have the chance to see hundreds of then and slowing down toward the end. Anyone can confirm?? Thanks

Ok great! Many thanks!!! I think we will be going in november someone told me that at the begining of hammer heads season you have the chance to see hundreds of then and slowing down toward the end. Anyone can confirm?? Thanks

After diving in South Africa for over 30 years I can say its not so. Hammer head sharks are not found by the hundreds along the SA coast at any time. Generally they are seen in one's and two's and in no particular season.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom