Pelagic\Large Animals in Dahab\Sharm area- Best chance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1 brief sighting of a turtle at Gabr but 100% hit rate for one at blue hole for last 2 weeks and about 50% for ricks reef <> canyon area. 1 x spotted eagle ray at 3 pools (seaward side!).

Few and far between definately. Tiran trip are hit and miss too. If you want bigger stuff you need to go south (really south not sharm, Marsa Alam etc).

We have a 100% record at the moment for Hammerheads at Jackson... There are sightings of Manta everyday in Sharm (4 on our house reef in the last six days) with the odd whaleshark thrown in, Turtles are year round, if you go to Tiran and don't see a Turtle a day, three dives, then your unlucky.
The breeding season in Ras Mohamed has come to an end, the last full moon, so the huge schools of Snapper are leaving, but the Barracuda are still there in their thousands, so still worth diving.
I am in Tiran tomorrow so will let you know what I see (thats the 100% record gone then). Every place has its good points, just be there at the right time and do some research before you go, every year is different too, this year we have more sightings of white tip oceanics than normal, a few years ago it was Tigers, for the last two its been loads of whale sharks and Manta. In the first nine years in Sharm I saw two whale sharks, this year and last, their like fleas...

Marsa Alam. Red sea diving safari Shagra. elphinstone.

5m Whale shark at blue hole yesterday (and the ubiquitous turtle that now always seems to be there). Spotted eagle ray at golden blocks.

Tiran was a bit choppy so the back of Jackson was out, great day but only a feathertail ray to report, was a happy bunny till I got back to the center, they had a whale shark on the house reef... thats the last four mantas and now a whale shark I have MISSED. Maybe taking up bird watching instead

stephen: let me know when you find something interesting, I might join in the birdwatching.

Returned after 18 dives in Dahab and Marsa and the only thing I've spotted of interest was a grey reef (possibly a black tail) shark deep down at elphinstone, it was 8 meters below us at 50 meters, cruising around, but we had to ascende as we where running out of air and deco...

+ now a whalseshark at the blue hole!!!!!!!!!!!!! Got damn it! I missed it, i missed all the eagles down south as well!

insallah I will get to Marsa in October and catch up . :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom