Pending changes for certifications required for JDC dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don’t really perceive there’s a problem with the intention of each certifying organization’s advanced OW course but rather with the quality of instruction provided. IMO, the concentration on marketing far exceeds that of QA/QC in instruction.

I think the disaggregation of skills into various specialties to make it more accessible for tourism has been detrimental to the overall activity.

The modern OW courses being taught today (by PADI, at least) have more content and requirements than when I first got certified.
Truth, but many instructors exceeded requirements. My instructor was a marine. I was on an Army/Defense Nuclear Agency base overseas.

I did ditch and dons, gear exchanges, and CESA the length of an Olympic pool.

Divemaster skills were a breeze, later.

I never stated that they way I was trained was standard across the community. I referred to the point that doing a deeper dive, as done in AOW was not necessarily nonsense as argued, but training above the minimum standard was generally acceptable. Take a poll from those certified during this time and you will find that the majority covered aspects that are now considered AOW in there basic OW class. I would argue that classes now follow a strict checklist and anything that falls outside of that list are directed to take another class. I spent decades screening prospective divers for various dive teams and I see the difference over the years. In contemporary diving, failing candidates doesn’t pay the bills so many get certified that probably shouldn’t just to secure that money.

The instructor for my OW was a old retired military diver/airborne type who was a no BS kind of guy. I don’t recall how many folks were dropped out of the class but it was a few of them and that was during basic pool skills and OOA drills. I have attended several courses through SSI, NAUI, PADI, DRI, and IANTD. They all evolve and change to what is currently expected of training. As noted, it doesn’t really matter how one was trained at one time, what matters is what is required now in order to participate in a specific dive. Their operation, their rules. If they require AOW, either get the cert or go diving someplace else. There are still some older folks that view ourselves as divers. Not AOW, not MD, not tech, just a diver. While there are several OW divers that have the experience and training and may have done the required types of dives for years, without the plastic card, you are not allowed so folks get ruffled a bit.

...I did ditch and dons, gear exchanges, and CESA the length of an Olympic pool...
50 meters is a long way

I was certified by LA Co in 1970, it exceeded today's OW skills. I was recertified in 1997 by PADI, it seemed like routine skills

training above the minimum standard was generally acceptable.
But not if it violates standards, like going deeper than 60 ft.

I’ve been too busy diving to read through all this. Sounds like some of you internet hero’s should do the same and stop caring about what an operator does to run a viable business. If you don’t like it, don’t dive with them.

but if AOW is inadequate, then OW must be even less worthwhile.
Is this so? I learned many new things when I trained for OW. I know I will learn many new things in the unlikely event I decide to get certified for dry suit or rebreather or even, God forbid, cave diving. But I'd learn nothing new if I decide to train for AOW.

But I'd learn nothing new if I decide to train for AOW.
How can you possibly know this? Oh, wait, I forgot; you already know everything. :rolleyes:

How can you possibly know this? Oh, wait, I forgot; you already know everything. :rolleyes:
Anyone can find and read the standards. Anyone can find and learn those secrets of deep diving in 30 min. Like I said, I do not know anything about dry suit or rebreather diving, so do not misquote me.

1672711571038.gif
Some gauntlets are gettin’ thrown down in this SB dance battle. Sh*t be gettin’ real dawgs!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom