People not fit to dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No one can legally refuse someone service because of race, color, creed, national origin, sexual orientation, or age (and probably a few other protected groups) but... if the discrimination is not based on membership in a protected group any individual can decline to do business with any other individual.
Why yes, I know. And I never said anything to the contrary.

Interesting, I've been diving with a one legged person, someone in a wheel chair...lots of people that could not carry their gear into or out of the water...

The are extra safety rules... conditions have to be right... but I don't get the problem... or rather, there should not be a problem.

I for one would offer to help, and not view them as someone that is in their way...

I think one needs to carefully consider their motives when making assessments about what others should and should not be permitted to do.

I've observed a fair bit of impatience and intolerance in younger people, who then front it as concern. This is particularly the case when an easier dive site is selected by dive ops as being more appropriate to the needs of the group.

This sort of treatment is common with the elderly in general, and I think this is one of the reasons seniors tend voluntarily to live in communities with others close to their same age (seniors-only mobile home parks, condos, etc.).

I think concern for a senior's well-being is a noble thing, but it's not a good rationalization if one is pissed off just because their dive didn't go the way they wanted. I wanted to call that out as I've seen it in action.

Cut the seniors a little slack--with any luck, you'll be their age one day and looking for something fun to do to fill your days, too.

Interesting, I've been diving with a one legged person, someone in a wheel chair...lots of people that could not carry their gear into or out of the water...
I went diving with a guy that had no lungs once. Dude could swim like a fish!

This is a great thread, all 7 pages discussing in all fashions and from all points of view (and humor) the points MMM originally raised. I just hope, if and when someday I'm the one who is the somehow less capable person on the boat, that all of you are onboard, too. Gonna be a great dive....

Many years ago my dive buddy had just had back surgery. There was no way they could get in or out of the boat while wearing gear. So, my buddy got in the water and I tossed the BC/tank overboard. After they donned the BC, I would pass the weight belt. We just reversed the process at the end of the dive.

No big deal, just an accommodation.

Now that I am much older, my back is really trashed. I'm finding it difficult to do beach entries and exits. I doubt that I can afford to pay for our 4 diver herd on a charter so I'm looking into buying a boat. That way I can make the accommodation that I need.

Richard

OK - When I hit 70 I'm going to tell my operators that I'm a gay Muslim from Somalia - that ought to cover the bases.....yoo hoo!....lawyer!

Correction: When I'm a gay FEMALE Muslim IN A WHEELCHAIR from Somalia

Hi i am glad to read that...I feel so bad that I now need help with my gear due to my car accident...i got so weak from all my broken bones ... i had trouble staying upright in the water...im working out with weights and I swim 1000 yrds 4 days a week ...but I have trouble walking due to several surgeries on my leg and ankle..i will proble have to have help with my gear from now on ...hoefully not ...but im realistic...I feel bad but love to dive..and im still a good swimmer ...ill be swimming alcatraz again this year...so in the water im fine its just walking and especially with the tank on my broken back...i need help...

Didnt know you could live with no lungs...dont believe that one...sorry but if you could so many people with lung cancer would be able to live...you need lungs to live...you cant live with no lungs...Nude diver thats so not true

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom