Peroneal tendon torn, Cozumel vacation in 5 weeks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I usually buy travel insurance about a month before I leave but this time I had this freak accident (I literally sustained this injury just by walking in flip flops) and didn't buy any. My flight is nonrefundable and I'm pretty sure my spot is not refundable. I'm heartbroken. I keep reading about people on these boards with busted ankles who dove so why can't I with a minor tendon tear? My doctor didn't even completely rule this trip out.

I usually travel alone but this time I am going with a big group of friends: this is why I'm heartbroken. I'm sharing a room with a friend so it will be more expensive for her if I bail. Otherwise I wouldn't think twice about canceling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I usually buy travel insurance about a month before I leave but this time I had this freak accident (I literally sustained this injury just by walking in flip flops) and didn't buy any. My flight is nonrefundable and I'm pretty sure my spot is not refundable. I'm heartbroken. I keep reading about people on these boards with busted ankles who dove so why can't I with a minor tendon tear? My doctor didn't even completely rule this trip out.

I usually travel alone but this time I am going with a big group of friends: this is why I'm heartbroken. I'm sharing a room with a friend so it will be more expensive for her if I bail. Otherwise I wouldn't think twice about canceling.

Tough situation. Some people can get through their daily routines with that injury with just a bit of pain, some can't. You can check into Trigger Point Therapy or even get a home ultrasound device for quicker healing. You may get that ankle to a point to where you can walk relatively pain-free. But, you will probably need surgery at some point unless you want this injury to linger for years. It is a difficult injury to heal on its own.

Best case scenario: maybe can beach dive to 20ft or so to test it out if the ankle feels better. If diving is too difficult, get back to the beach and drink some margaritas.

Worst case: you further damage it and your whole vacation is ruined and Cozumel doesn't exactly have good medical care, sufficient but not ideal.

Personally, I would not get on a dive boat, maybe just go for the ride and try to snorkel while the group is under water or something....just float if need be, but enjoy the water. If it is a strong drift dive, you will just have to stay on the boat.

If you do try to dive, drift is not the way to go. Yes, it would be easier with the current but what if you have to change directions? It would not be safe for you or the group. It may be possible to ask the gang if they would do their shallow dive(30ish ft) with minimal current, that way you might be able to frog-kick around.

Which tendon tore? The on that connects to the outside of the foot or the one that runs under the foot to the arch? Different quick healing strategies there.

I would just go on the trip, swim if able, get some sun, enjoy the refreshments and fix the tendon when you get home.

Maybe some Dr.'s here can help better. I do have a couple years of Med School under my belt but forgot most of it. My wife is a nurse practitioner, I will ask her opinion later(she works with orthopods).

Torn, forget about any kind of activity let alone diving.

I tore the peroneal tendon, which connects to the outside. I actually don't have any pain when walking whether I'm wearing a to-the-knee brace or a boot (for driving). I have not had to take pain meds, either. This is why I think I may possibly be okay in 5 weeks.

I tore the peroneal tendon, which connects to the outside. I actually don't have any pain when walking whether I'm wearing a to-the-knee brace or a boot (for driving). I have not had to take pain meds, either. This is why I think I may possibly be okay in 5 weeks.

Ice/heat, anti-inflammatory drugs and hope for the best :)

Dont Dive, go on Vacation and enjoy your time off. Gently limp to the dive shop and observe and talk to the people that come in from the dives, probably three dives a day most shops. Take beach chair and lots of cold beer to drink and share with the people you talk to and dream about your next Vacation when you are healed.:D
Sit around and lick your wounds like an old Dog,Heal well. Good Luck.

I am not a doc or do I play one and I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night so the usual disclaimers apply.

As someone who is recovering a year out from a complete Achilles tendon rupture and cancelled not one but two dive trips I would say make a choice - start the recovery now or go diving and prolong the recovery.

As said, tendons are not well vascularized nor do they have nerves. I never felt anything when mine went. For that matter the only meds I took were a nerve block for two days after surgery. So there is a reason you do not feel much pain which is not a reason to do what you want - as the movement will disrupt and increase the scarring. Tendons like any soft tissue damage have a long time recovery time.

I would talk to the airline and the dive op and making an arrangement to post pone for one year your trip. Both will often have exceptions for medical reasons. Yes the airline will probably make you pay a penalty and not refund your monies but a $150/$250 penalty is cheap compared to the cost of full function that comes with rehab. The dive op will probably also have a penalty. If totally out with the dive op you might advertise the spot and put descent discount on it. You might be surprised that some one would jump on it.

That said if you really want to go I'll sell you a second boot to get wet whilst you splash around. Low milage, only worn for 4 weeks. I have no plans to use it again.

Lesson to learn about trip insurance. You get the best coverage if you buy it within 10 days of making your initial purchase, whether that is the flight or hotel or whatever. But it's too late for hindsight. I feel for you, but I think you already know what the right thing to do is. The pain of the wasted money and opportunity would pale in the face of a larger tragedy. Or go and don't dive but do the best you can to enjoy yourself.

I am not a doc or do I play one and I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night so the usual disclaimers apply.

I bailed on this thread long ago, but the above is just 'special'.

-unlvcrjchick, if you pull this off in five weeks I'll be the very first to claim "I know you" when you publish in JAMA.

Please don't see this as sarcasm, I am truly sorry. Just time to face the facts...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom