Peroneal tendon torn, Cozumel vacation in 5 weeks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You could snorkel from the shore. I've sat out dive trips and dive training courses before due to illness or injury. No it wasn't what I envisioned, but in the long run not important.

Personally I would want a well healed peroneal tendon before drift or current diving. And ditch the flip flops.

edit: I work in the soft tissue rehab field, and the Trigger Point therapy pioneered by Janet Travell MD, would not specifically help a torn tendon. You want scar tissue to form to heal the tendon, and Trigger Point tx involves static pressure on the muscle where the Trigger Point is located, followed by a stretch. It's the tendon that is injured here, and stretching too early before the tissue is healed would create more damage.

Actually, I defied the odds: my doctor said I have healed much faster than anticipated and I should be able to go: he tested my strength and range of motion and he said I don't even need physical therapy. So I'm going and I'm diving.

Goes to show doctors know best and not those here who insisted I wouldn't be able to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually, I defied the odds: my doctor said I have healed much faster than anticipated and I should be able to go: he tested my strength and range of motion and he said I don't even need physical therapy. So I'm going and I'm diving.

Goes to show doctors know best and not those here who insisted I wouldn't be able to go.

Ha ha ha - that was funny - you came onto an internet forum and asked for advice and then kick them all for said advice because someone gave you the answer you were begging for (even if it was a doctor - not really sure because this is the internet) - Priceless...
Just check in after your vacation of diving - this should be a hoot.
Have fun - no sarcasm intended....

I realize I was asking for people's opinions but some of the responses I got were downright nasty, especially the one saying basically "I'd like to see that happen." Really, that was not necessary and uncalled for. And your comment "this should be a hoot" also came across as rude.

Maybe I was wrong in thinking this was a good community. I will think twice about asking for opinions on here in the near future.

unlvcrjchick, I am a physician, and I gave you the best advice I could give over the internet. It is ALWAYS better to get opinions from your treating physician, who has actually seen the imaging of the tendon and knows how the injury is progressing, than it is to get opinions on line. The only exception is when there is something very specific about diving that the ordinary doctor wouldn't know. Those of us who don't know you and don't know the specifics of the injury are most likely to give conservative advice -- how would I feel if I said, "Go for it!" and you reinjured the tendon and ended up with a permanent disability as a result?

I am very glad to hear your rate of healing has been more rapid than usual, and that you will be able to make your trip. Had your physician counseled against it, I would still have been on his side.

TSandM: I wasn't referring to your post as rude in the slightest. I am referring to other responses I received that were less than cordial. I don't believe in sugar coating, but I don't think tactlessness is the way to go either.

In any event, thank you for your response and well wishes.

... Maybe I was wrong in thinking this was a good community. I will think twice about asking for opinions on here in the near future.

It is a good community, but remember that we all have our bad days and conflicting agendas. I just had my dive pulled for this weekend by my eye doc. Nothing like losing a dive vacation but it would have been a lot of fun. Started out grumpy this evening, the board changed all that...

If it makes you feel any better, I snapped on someone (due to my ignorance of the event) at the death of a friend. I couldn't have possibly been more wrong if I tried. So it goes.

Stick around.

-Wishing you a full and speedy recovery.

It is a good community, but remember that we all have our bad days and conflicting agendas. I just had my dive pulled for this weekend by my eye doc. Nothing like losing a dive vacation but it would have been a lot of fun. Started out grumpy this evening, the board changed all that...

If it makes you feel any better, I snapped on someone (due to my ignorance of the event) at the death of a friend. I couldn't have possibly been more wrong if I tried. So it goes.

Stick around.

-Wishing you a full and speedy recovery.

Thank you, I appreciate it. I mostly lurk around here but I'll stick around. Sorry to hear about your friend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom