Pet safety peeves--no debating

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the clarification. I was trying to figure out how in tarnation you managed to use her air2, and being very impressed with y'alls acrobatic skills in the meantime.

hey sports fans, you are using too many words. making it hard for my data man to compile! remember the "no debating" :10:

aw c'mon, 19 pages and still on topic? This has to be against TOS.

Safety issue? People who lose control of their bouyancy while peeing in their wetsuits.

Wayward Son:
People who use pony bottles.
There, I fixed it for you. :wink:

#1 - Using equipment (i.e. a pony bottle) to replace good buddy skills or diving skills.

#2 - Diving above one's ability.

I was just recently on a trip where there were quite a few folks that had no business doing the dives we were doing. PLEASE don't misunderstand me... I'll dive with a new diver all day long, as long as I know it in advance! That way I can choose the appropriate dive site for their skill level. The time to discover this is their first dive in a drysuit is not after we're already on the boat heading to an advanced dive site!

I won't bother to open the Pandora's Box on pony bottles. I'm entitled to my opinion, y'all are entitled to yours. :D

Jimmie

RadRob:
#2 - On live-aboards, getting put in a room with 3 giggly and obnoxious kids. Laughing at their own farts while having a fart contest, pulling pranks on one another at 3:30 in the morning, etc...

I know they like farting and laughing, but in a closed stateroom?

So when planning your next days dive,would you consider the overnight as on-gassing or off-gassing:D

Phil TK:
1. I don't think rather nasty and patronizing comments like the one above do much for our industry, luckily what you are getting at isn't generally true -it's bollocks. Could you tell me which dive op you work for Quero? Then I can tell all the backpackers we get here on Koh Tao to give you a wide berth when they come over to Phuket.

2. People (DMs usually) who stand 'in the ladder' rather than to the side of it to pull divers onto the boat. I once saw a great accident when the DM slipped forwards and landed on top of the alighting diver and knocked them both into the water. Reaching forwards into the ladder also doesn't do your back much good either.

Phil TK

Whoa, Phil TK! 'patronizing'???? 'bollocks'???? 'wide berth'???? A sore spot?

A pet peeve, by definition is something that bothers (peeves) a particular individual (making it a pet peeve). It's based on personal experience. You've clearly had different experiences than I have. Lucky you!

BTW, I've never seen anybody fall off the ladder trying to help a diver up, but can imagine it. Good one.

1. people who want to get certification card because they did several dives without it before.

2. divers using double tanks when the rest of the group are using singles. they delay the other divers due to his rigging.....

Quero:
Whoa, Phil TK! 'patronizing'???? 'bollocks'???? 'wide berth'???? A sore spot?
BTW, I've never seen anybody fall off the ladder trying to help a diver up, but can imagine it. Good one.

Yes, a sore spot, pleeeeze don't diss our customer base in Thailand. Things were hard enough last year, with our spirits only briefly lifted every time a boat load of backpackers (hoorah!) drew up to the pierside. This year will be tough too.
Don't forget, backpackers are a wonderfull, cuddly and a very beautiful race of people who will have a great time if they spend their MONEY on DIVING!
Have a good season, and no, don't stand in ladders.
Phil TK

Back
Top Bottom