Petition to UN: Put an End to Shark Finning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, lend weight to the sharks! If u care enough, please put the plight of sharks in the international "lime light". The world has many worries & problems. But if divers don't care to put forth their concerns for sharks, who will?!

Does anybody ever expect the UN to accomplish anything ? There aren't enough adjectives to define how inept, incompetent, corrupt and bribable they are. A petition may make you feel good but the UN is not the solution. As long as there is a demand for shark fins there will be those who will keep killing sharks. This is a cultural problem with no easy solutions. But don't count on the UN to solve it. Involving the UN usually causes problems to get worse, not better.

I have to agree. I think the UN is a lame duck whose mission has apparently become one of preventing any kind of meaningful political process. I signed it anyway. You never know. Maybe someone somewhere will wake up....

R..

I have to agree. I think the UN is a lame duck whose mission has apparently become one of preventing any kind of meaningful political process. I signed it anyway. You never know. Maybe someone somewhere will wake up....

R..

So where's the candle? Where's the better idea? If you're not going to present one then at least get behind the one you put your name to. Or what is your specific issue? Can that be resolved? Progress was made with preserving Whales. Are there no lessons to be gleaned from that?

Cheers,
J

Not much increment... 1370 signatures to go...

Thanks to the original poster who brought this petition to our attention.

I've been doing a bit of research here locally in Vancouver and a quick search through online menues and reviews of popular Chinese restaurants confirmed what I dreaded - shark fin is widely available and there are people unabashed about being consumers.

While the growing middle classes in China - where the greatest demand is coming from these days - is beyond our control, we can flex our consumer muscles in our towns and cities. A campaign earlier this year by outraged shoppers and shareholders of a major Canadian supermarket chain resulted in them removing Shark Fin Soup.

We can vote with our wallets and refuse to eat in restaurants selling shark fin. Hopefully, eating shark fin will soon have a similar connotation to eating dog - not something you brag about.

Thanks to all!!!! The target is reached!

Back
Top Bottom