Photo software

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your choice of software really depends on what you plan on shooting and doing with your photos and videos. If you get really serious, Photoshop/Bridge/Lightroom is your best bet. Even if you routinely use Lightroom, almost all high end photographers still use Photoshop, as there are adjustments that cannot be made in Lightroom. Plus Lightroom uses a catalogue/data base to keep track of edits.

If you are shooting a lower end camera and are basically posting to Facebook, Elements, iPhoto, and manufacturer's software will work fine.

In video, at the high end are Adobe Premiere Pro. Complicated to learn, but very powerful. I have also used Movie Maker, iMovie, and they work fine, but are not as powerful as Premiere Pro. If you use a GoPro, their software editing program is actually very good. There is even a correction toggle that helps eliminate fisheye distortion. Tough to work with multiple sound tracks, however.

Hope this helps. Best thing is to learn how to shoot correctly, and minimize post-processing time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

---------- Post added October 5th, 2014 at 06:01 AM ----------

@ Tigerman: Regarding HDR photography. I quit using Photomatix after CS6. Got to where Photoshop's processing seemed as good. Also, I have tried making HDR photos underwater by taking the original image, then making copies a half stop above and below the original. Results are usually marginal, but every once in a while a nice result.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, I have photomatix, I don't have CS6 and I don't like the subscription thing. Its not like we don't have plenty of other small ammounts trickeling out of our accounts every month and I wouldn't use photoshop enough to justify paying $170 a year for it, especially when I already own the other program in that socalled "deal". Subscribing to only ONE program is even more expensive, makes perfect sense...

I just recently started using Lightroom, and I absolutely LOVE it. I also shoot RAW (actually my setting is raw+jpeg so I get both) and use LR for the raw editing.

I also just bought a set of plastic 2inx3in white balance cards and tried them out last dive. I found it a quick and easy way to set WB based on an actual photo if you are inclined that way.

For video, I used to use Pinnacle on my PC (win7). I got a demo copy many years ago and found it easy to use. Kept upgrading until Corel bought them out at about version 14. I won't give Corel my money - ever - so looked for a replacement.

Because I now had Lightroom (5), I decided to buy Photoshop Elements - comes with both photo (Photoshop) and video (Aperature) programs. Not full versions, but I didn't win the lottery so I can't really afford full version Photoshop (CS5 I guess now).

Started playing with Aperature on my recent videos, and found it as easy if not easier than Pinnacle, plus way easier to do the final create. Stopped using Pinnacle after one video, deleted it from the PC after the second.

So for me it's Lightroom (5), Photoshop Elements 12 (Photo + Aperature for video).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom