Photos from Marys place CCV

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RoatanMan:
As to stopping in May's Place... I've been there way too many times, so "Herself" and I generally don't do the dive- why put the impact on the place? When we are coralled into going, either because we have a group or there is need for addl DM's, the CoCoView DM's use us as traffic cops. We lead the pack into the chasm as the DM "starts" the divers, one by one.

I hover at 80fsw and direct folks to the hard left turn. Surprising how many would miss it. CCV spaces divers waaaaay out from each other. "Herself" hovers at the overhead part, either nudging divers down that over-inhale, or guiding them up and over if they look a bit wide eyed.

After the parade of 17 or so divers, I am fairly loaded with Nitrogen, so I ascend as safely fast as I can, then play around in one of several "hidden" holes that lie to the NNE of the starting point of Mary's Place. One such site is known and named as "Lita's Hole".

I like the other divesite, Calvins Crack, for several reasons. Nobody goes there except CCV and sometimes FIBR; you can dawdle, photograph and fiddle as much as you like; plus the two resident Frogfish.

Mary's Place is an elegant fissure that was one of the first major dive sites on Roatan- it is close to town and the major dive ops. It not only was 'overdived', but it fell victim to nearby siltation and run-off. By mutual agreement, it was closed to commercial dive traffic for many years. I made occasional survey dives with Doc Radawski over the years, and I really didn't anecdotaly note any major regrowth.

I think that demand by divers is what reopened it. Too bad that Roatan doesn't have you buy a conservation bc tag like Bonaire. Knowing Roatan, probably not much would make it through to the effort... past the filter of local and national government agencies.

Truth be known, there are several other dive sites around Roatan, to the far NE tip, that are substantialy more interesting and obviously unspoiled by off shore sedimentation of land deveopment. Unfortunately (?) the live aboards don't visit those sites and there is no viable land based dive op in their vicinity.

Time will tell.

CCV there was a survey done by a university marine biology department before it was opened again, they said it had recovered enough to support limited number of dives.

RoatanMan:
Drats... thought it was my private hidey hole :)

LOL...not hardly!

I have to agree, I enjoy Calvin's Crack more than Mary's Place. Beast and I also usually skip it or help with the herding when we go. One reason they don't want you stopping inside the crack is so those behind you who aren't paying attention, won't get all crammed together and start thrashing the walls. One advantage of being the last one through is you don't have to worry about that! :eyebrow:

Iron Shore is also one of my favorites.

Wow, when I dove Mary's Place, there were no such restrictions. We dove it, and when we came up, I exclaimed to the DM "WOW! What was THAT site called?! That was amazing"! It went into my logbook as my top ten favorite dives ever. I am actually very happy to see that the govt is being so careful with it. It's a truly wonderful dive site.
Hm. Now that I am thinking about it, I believe I may have video of that dive. Yay.

I guess times have changed. We just dove it with CCV, had a great dive, but no extra briefings or anything other than the normal one. Our boat was almost entirely very advanced divers though, and the one major exception went over the crack.

Chaseh:
I guess times have changed. We just dove it with CCV, had a great dive, but no extra briefings or anything other than the normal one. Our boat was almost entirely very advanced divers though, and the one major exception went over the crack.

'Course this thread is over 18 mos old but....

They cover Mary's Place in the Orientation. They used to have a seperate lecture about Mary's Place during the week but I honestly can't say if they're still doing that.

I'm considering CCV for next year's overseas trip. Please tell me that you are not required to make boat dives with a DM holding your hand the whole trip. We like going off on our own and doing our thing away from the crowds and the newbies who are silting up the area.
What are the boat dives at CCV like?

Well, there was only one true noob on our boat. Most were very experienced divers with a few professionals on board. I think this is often the case at CCV.

On boat dives, there is one DM in the water who just goes along unnoticed, except in areas where he knows of specific attractions to point out, like a toadfish.

Most, if not all, boat dives are out and backs along walls. We did one or two out and ups. You are free to do as you please, but are briefed on what features are particularly attractive at each site.

After each boat dive (there are two per day), you have the choice of being dropped off. Your boat will either drop you off at the CCV wall or Newman's wall, alternating between each, or if you prefer, the boat will drop you right on the wreck.

There's also of course unlimited shore diving. You're first morning there, you are required to do a quick check out in the front yard if you haven't been at CCV before. They quickly check that you're weighted properly, then give you a quick underwater tour, showing how to find the wreck and the two walls, and how to navigate between them. It sounds annoying, but is very quick and really an absolute must if you plan on diving at night. Don't feel compeled to follow the DM back in after the tour, turn around and check out the sites, although you may want to mention this plan to him before initial decent.

Have a good time, and say hello to Pancho.

Back
Top Bottom