Photoshop vs. Photodraw smackdown

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

archman

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
With all the photo nuts on this board, I was hoping on getting some feedback on editing software. All my friends and science pals that do graphics work are strictly Adobe Photoshop people, and while most of them only know some basic rudiments pertinent to what they do, this is what they stick with.

Now a couple years back someone gave me a copy of Microsoft Photodraw, and not knowing any better I installed it. Now I love the thing, and do all my enormous photo editing tasks with it. However NOBODY I talk to seems to know anything about this software other than me, like its some horrible secret or something. I do a LOT of image enhancement for my research, and Photodraw has never let me down. I feel snubbed by the Adobe users!

What I want to know is if anyone else has used this software, and how they like it? And if anyone could compare the pro's and con's between the two, that would be even better. For instance... What can photoshop do that photodraw can't, is the learning curve different, what clientele does each market too, junk like that.

Thanks!

I've never heard of Photo Draw. I do have an old program called Micrografix Draw but it doesn't do image enhancement. I use it for everything else. In fact, I print my photos through it because the photos come out looking right wheras with PS Elements, they are way too dark. Go figure!

Sorry!

I used to use it a lot about 6/7 years ago and then migrated over to Photoshop as it allows you do so much more editing of the photo itself.

I needed a new copy of of it about a year ago to open up some old files but could not find it anywhere (in Thailand we do not "buy" software in the regular fashion).

It definitely did not have the power of photoshop (but photoshop was much more difficult to use - a problem with most Adobe programs IMHO) but I cannot truely remember many specifics - it had a nice red logo and was easy to use!!!

I agree with srmjohnson - Photoshop is very VERY powerful! However most people end up only using 20% of the program(myself included), unless you're in the graphics industry... I remember seeing PhotoDraw but never used it that much... you may want to take a look at paint shop pro. I heard it is fairly powerful as well but it doesn't come with the same price tag as photoshop...

The Microsoft site for PhotoDraw states that Microsoft has discontinued PhotoDraw with the 2000 edition. However they also say they will continue to support the program (but for how long).

I will stick with PSE as I still have not completely figured it out yet :) Best of luck with Photo Draw.

Dive Smart; Dive Safe
:cool1:

archman:
With all the photo nuts on this board, I was hoping on getting some feedback on editing software. All my friends and science pals that do graphics work are strictly Adobe Photoshop people, and while most of them only know some basic rudiments pertinent to what they do, this is what they stick with.

Now a couple years back someone gave me a copy of Microsoft Photodraw, and not knowing any better I installed it. Now I love the thing, and do all my enormous photo editing tasks with it. However NOBODY I talk to seems to know anything about this software other than me, like its some horrible secret or something. I do a LOT of image enhancement for my research, and Photodraw has never let me down. I feel snubbed by the Adobe users!

I have PD as part of my MS Office Premium 2000 package. The only thing I find it useful for is to convert some image files that Photoshop doesn't recognized into ones it does. Otherwise I stick with PS because it does more than the Photodraw.

Hope this doesn't add to your inferiority complex :wink2:

In the end, use what works for you!

Cheers,

DISCONTINUED?!! Well, that takes care of that... poo

Back
Top Bottom