Phuket, Thailand Dec.20, 2008-Jan 03 2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ocean Rover is moving to Lembeh Straits (North Sulawesi) in 3 months time and will have a new crew and new management there. It's a GREAT boat to dive from and it's a shame it's leaving Thailand.....

Hey Scubafanatic,

Went to Phuket from JFk on preminum economy in January, I highly recommend it!

The seats recline, have a nice foot rest and are somewhat wide bigger than a normal economy seat. Each seat has its own monitor for watching movies and there is a large selection of current movies,tv series and Thai culture/cooking shows.

Three meals are served each with 2 choices; A Thai dish and an international dish. The Thai dishes were very good; Pad Thai and Duck Curry were a couple of the meals that I remember fondly.

I met up with Quero when I was there, having met her through the forums. She took me to some really nice dive sites, and showed me the best places to eat. You can eat great food there in some of the smaller places and spend much less. This seems to apply to anywhere I travelled in Thailand.

Amemone reef-was my favorite spot..as the name suggests there are thousands of anemones ranging from light greeen to red-pink. Each anemone hosts a family of clown fish..very entertaining to watch...

Interestingly, there were less "hard" corals, like elk-horn or stag-horns and more "soft" corals than I had seen anyplace else before. These soft corals cover vast tracts of the reef and range from yellow, to purple to pink.

Hope this helps, and as I had indicated previously Quero is an excellent on-sight advisor if you need any help with diving etc. while you are there.
Have Fun!
Eric

Eric,
Thanks for the info! How did those seats in the middle look?

We are going to a have a few days in Phuket before we board the Mermaid. We will have to check out Amemone reef. Maybe Quero will be in town when we are there.

We are going to a have a few days in Phuket before we board the Mermaid. We will have to check out Amemone reef. Maybe Quero will be in town when we are there.

I will almost certainly be here, and I'll look forward to diving with you. :azvatar:

Hey Scuba,
The seats looked pretty good. There is a good amount of room all things considered, particularly compared to a normal coach seat. I think you will be quite comfortable. If you can, try tp change your seats at or before check-in, to the front row left or right between first class and premium economy..best seats on the aircraft in my opinion.

Thanks for the in put. Our travel agent said she will call monthly to see if any of the seats on the left or right open up.

We are packing up our gear as we speak for our trip this week on the Naia in Fiji. I LOVE MY LIFE!!!(unfortunately there is no premium economy)

I don't know if your flights will be the same, but I wasn't very happy with Thai Air when changing planes in Bangkok. We had to go to another gate quite a ways away, and then wait for a while, then we walked outside (very hot) to where they BUSED us to yet another gate. I went in late January, and this happened on both flights we had in Bangkok. (We flew into BKK, then took another flight up to Chiang Mai, then from Chiang Mai to Phuket, which was much nicer, then from Phuket to BKK). But leaving the airport terminal to be bused to another terminal is pretty bizarre.

The food was decent, IMO, and terrible in my wife's opinion. (Note I'm talking about the domestic flights, not the international ones... we flew China Air for the transatlantic hops.) Thai Air served us cold chicken and some unusual desserts (which, again, I liked, but my wife, generally a more adventuresome eater than me, did not), IIRC.

The seats (economy) were pretty tiny... narrower than any I've ever been in. And they REALLY made it clear you were not flying first class... rubbed our noses in it more than US airlines. That said, the food was better (or existent), and I've had worse treatment on some US airlines, so it's not all bad.

All in all, though, I intend to fly different airlines from the two we did this trip, next time I head to Thailand.

CompuDude, sounds like you went to the old Don Muang airport. At the new airport, there are nearly no buses used anymore. The use of buses BTW has nothing to do with the airline, but the pier at which the plane is asked to park.

CompuDude, sounds like you went to the old Don Muang airport. At the new airport, there are nearly no buses used anymore. The use of buses BTW has nothing to do with the airline, but the pier at which the plane is asked to park.

Nope. Su..... (way too many unpronounceable vowels). Suvenbharmi? Something like that.

Buses have no place in a modern airport, unless you are referring to the ride from a parking lot.

Beautiful airport, other than that. But forcing my wife to hand carry luggage down several flights of stairs, onto a bus, and back to another terminal? (she has a really bad back, and problems carrying more than 5 lbs... thus the wheels... which don't work on stairs.) Next airline, please...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom