Phuket, Thailand Dec.20, 2008-Jan 03 2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nope. Su..... (way too many unpronounceable vowels). Suvenbharmi? Something like that.

Buses have no place in a modern airport, unless you are referring to the ride from a parking lot.

Beautiful airport, other than that. But forcing my wife to hand carry luggage down several flights of stairs, onto a bus, and back to another terminal? (she has a really bad back, and problems carrying more than 5 lbs... thus the wheels... which don't work on stairs.) Next airline, please...

You are right. It was Suvarnabumi (say it with me: swan-a-boom). They use the bus because they mix up international and domestic passengers on the same flights. That is, if a passenger checks in at Phuket for an international flight with a domestic segment, when the passengers disembark from the plane at BKK for their next segment, airport staff sort them onto different buses. And the same kind of thing happens when you're embarking at BKK. The planes you were on most likely came in from international destinations and parked at the international side of the terminal to disembark passengers who needed to get through immigration. Domestic passengers can't go to that side of the terminal, so they put them on buses and shuttle them to the plane for the domestic flight.

I agree it's bizarre. But that's the solution they've found for mixed flights and mixed use planes. It's easier for them to have passengers move than it is for them to repark planes.

FWIW, I don't think it's any worse than the mess it is getting from domestic terminals at LAX to the Bradley international terminal, or from getting between distant terminals at JFK hauling bags onto buses with tiny doors. I go through this all the time (3 or 4 times a year).

FWIW, I don't think it's any worse than the mess it is getting from domestic terminals at LAX to the Bradley international terminal, or from getting between distant terminals at JFK hauling bags onto buses with tiny doors. I go through this all the time (3 or 4 times a year).

I've been to airports where it's a serious trek from one terminal to another. Several here in the States are like that, unfortunately, and in the TaiPei airport, where we changed planes to get to Bangkok, we had to take an short underground subway trip to the other terminal! Long, and annoying.

But I've never been bussed around the terminal from outside before, where I had go outside (and try not to melt) to carry my bags up and down a light of stairs, board a bus, and repeat on the other end.

You want to make me walk a ways, fine. You want to put me on a short, dedicated, internal subway, fine. But don't make my wife (with her bad post-surgery back) carry her bags up and down stairs in absurd temps and humidity (we had not had time to adjust yet, of course), to get on a bus, to get to the next plane. Give me an escalator and keep me indoors, and I won't complain nearly as much!

oh crap. I just saw this thread and read through it, thinking hmmmmmmm... maybe it's worth it to fly Sin > Bkk to get the flight now that SQ has cancelled their executive economy. I guess not. I hate all airlines.

I'm back to using NW, Continental or United economy again and taking 3 flights and 27 hours each way. The common movie screen will allow me to catch up on my reading. Oh boy. At least I feel I am getting my money's worth.

My husband & I are finalizing our plans to Phuket. We are paying the extra to fly Premium Economy non stop from JFK to Bankok on Thai Air. We figure for a 17 hour flight, it is money well spent. We are going to spend the 21-24 at the Chedi resort at Surin Beach. We will then board the Mermaid I (were booked on the Ocean Rover, but they moved) for 9 days then return to the Chedi on the 2nd of January for one night before returning to NJ.

I would love to hear what experiences people have had with Thai Air, Chedi Resort & Mermaid I. Appreciate suggestions of "must see" & "must do" for the 3 days we are in Surin Beach. Any local great Restuarants etc. Appreciate any tips!!

Thai Air is a excellent airline. The plane I flow to BKK back in Feb was in excellent shape. Thai really do not wash the outside of their planes so it seem not well taken care of, but they take good care of the insides.

As a member of the star alliance there is a level of maintenance that needs to be kept to remain in the alliance. The Star alliance have thrown member out for fail to comply with their standard. And they has never had any problems doing so. The service is excellent. So you do not really have to worry about the flight worthiness of the aircraft.

They are extermly friendly and the food is decent. The only other airlines that give you service at the same level as thai is Singapore, Cathy Pacific, and Emirates. As I flow Business class to BKK it was an very pleasant flight. Then my flight from bKK to HKT was in economy, and the service was really friendly, with a free meal. It is a whole different world compare to the US airlines economy service, or lack of service.

If you have a long layover in BKK flying back to the US, BKK airport is a shoppers paradise. My wife found all the high price brands there, and you can even get a full body message if your layover is long enough.

I prefer Surin Beach way better patong Beach in Phuket, but I still found the area to be a bit to touristy still.

Diving in the Andaman Sea is excellent. The water is a bit green, and quite warm. Lots of sealife lots to see. Enjoy.

Some of those Thai 747s are old and rundown.
I'm not sure if that's the case for the JFK to BKK route.

Reason is they were planning on replacing them with A380s, and we know the story there.

Actually Thai only order 6 A380, they are planning to only augment their 747 fleet, which is at 18. Not replacing the whole fleet with A380's.

We heard of this from our travel agent 2 weeks ago. She was able to get us a flight from JFK to Seoul, Korea then from Seoul to Phuket on Korean Air in economy...This was the only flight available for anywhere near what we had paid for the Thai air. Rates on other carriers were nearly a $1000 more(none of them are premium economy)

We were able to snag the seats in the back that are only 2 in a row instead of 3.

The good news is that unlike 99.5% of the population of the world...we are diving in Phuket for 2 weeks!! All of this stuff... life's luxury problems to have!!!

I've been to airports where it's a serious trek from one terminal to another. Several here in the States are like that, unfortunately, and in the TaiPei airport, where we changed planes to get to Bangkok, we had to take an short underground subway trip to the other terminal! Long, and annoying.

But I've never been bussed around the terminal from outside before, where I had go outside (and try not to melt) to carry my bags up and down a light of stairs, board a bus, and repeat on the other end.

You want to make me walk a ways, fine. You want to put me on a short, dedicated, internal subway, fine. But don't make my wife (with her bad post-surgery back) carry her bags up and down stairs in absurd temps and humidity (we had not had time to adjust yet, of course), to get on a bus, to get to the next plane. Give me an escalator and keep me indoors, and I won't complain nearly as much!

You know if you let the airline know that your wife can not walk a long way, most airline will have a electric cart or wheel chair waiting at the gate when you arrive and take you to the connecting gate. All it requires is that you let them know during check-in. That is what all those carts at bkk is for.

At some airport like Frankfurt, Lufthansa has a special check in area of customers with special needs with seats while you wait for the cart or wheel chair, and the service is free. The only thing is you need to arrive a little earlier to give them time to arrange it.

Last edited:
We heard of this from our travel agent 2 weeks ago. She was able to get us a flight from JFK to Seoul, Korea then from Seoul to Phuket on Korean Air in economy...This was the only flight available for anywhere near what we had paid for the Thai air. Rates on other carriers were nearly a $1000 more(none of them are premium economy)

We were able to snag the seats in the back that are only 2 in a row instead of 3.

The good news is that unlike 99.5% of the population of the world...we are diving in Phuket for 2 weeks!! All of this stuff... life's luxury problems to have!!!

The flight from Seoul to Phuket is about 5 hours. Hope you do not have a long layover. INCHONE airport there is nothing to do there.

Back
Top Bottom