Physical contact between male instructor female student

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh?

What's she look like? Is she a new instructor?

ZoCrowes255 once bubbled...

I was out with a group of guys from the shop I work with and we went to Hooter's. Turns out our waitress is a NAUI Instructor from the Keys. We are on a campaign to get her to come work at our shop. She could touch me anytime!

I'm not a dive master or instructor, but I do teach martial arts. The style that I teach is very high in contact, and sometimes the hands go in places you don't necessarily intend.

When we introduce new students into class, we cover the fact that this may happen and that if they feel uncomfortable to let their partner or an instructor know. Also, we have a regular chat with the entire class about every 3 months to reiterate this and to talk about paying attention to the remarks you make to people during class.

We've never had an instructor/student incident, but we did have one student/student incident. We were caught a bit off guard because it involved two female students. Not something we were watching for quite as closely.

Ok, quit teasing me!! *swoons* *THWACK* OUCH! Not THAT kind of touch!

-Dennis

jules once bubbled...
I'm not a dive master or instructor, but I do teach martial arts. The style that I teach is very high in contact, and sometimes the hands go in places you don't necessarily intend.

I was actually glad when the adults and instructor didn't shy away from "adult" conversations in my class. I was 16 when I took it and the only minor.
I always feel bad when people feel like they have to curb what they are going to say because I am around. Maybe I am the exception and not the rule, but a lot of people say that my maturity level is quite high.
As for the unwanted touching, unless the guy kept falling into my chest "oops the boat rocked", "oh gee it happened again" ,"dang, sorry, the water is so choppy" I understand that it's an accident. It's pitiful that people would automaticaly take it the wrong way. Scuba diving requires contact at some points. Get over it and move on!

I'm a skydiving instuctor and do a fair amount of tandem skydives with newbies. I have to put harnesses on people, both male and female, that include legs straps, chest straps and belly bands. Then I have to sit them up, basicaly on my lap, hooked them up to mu body and go. Tell me about being carefull where you put your hands and most of the time it's on video!

Over the years I have shyed away from the "I have to put this on you and excuse me if...." talk. I have come to realize that my professional attitude speaks louder than words. if you conduct yourself in a professional matter, no apologies will be needed.

I have taken over 2400 people on tandem skydives(4100+ total jumps) and I have yet to get a single complaint or even somebody to question my actions. Treat your students like a professional and you won't have to worry about it.

Glenn

Interesting subject... I was just thinking about it the other day... I had an OW student (F) and there was a slightly strong current on the OW dive 4. I did have to grab the student by the BCD (I was afraid this might be taken negatively but nothing happened.

While Diving there are a number of Situations where you must have contact, specially in currents or when the student starts to drift upwards! the reasons we as instructors are afraid of contact in general is due to the legal system in the US. Anyone can sue you for anything and you can get into real trouble even if your intentions were honest and in the best interest of the student.

I have below a bunch of funny incidents... They are sad but true!!!

The STELLA AWARDS!

It's time once again to consider the candidates for the 2003 Stella Awards. The Stella's are named after 81-year-old Stella Liebeck who spilled coffee on herself and successfully sued McDonalds. That case inspired the Stella Awards for the most uniquely successful lawsuits in the United States for last year. Actually, joint awards should be given to the plaintiff attorneys and the flaming idiots on the juries who awarded anything at all to these morons--who deserved NOTHING!!!!The following are this year's candidates:

Kathleen Robertson of Austin, Texas, was awarded $780,000 by a jury of her peers after breaking her ankle tripping over a toddler who was running inside a furniture store. The owners of the store were understandably surprised at the verdict, considering the misbehaving little toddler was Ms. Robertson's son.

A 19-year-old Carl Truman of Los Angeles won $74,000 and medical expenses when his neighbor ran over his hand with a Honda Accord. Mr. Truman apparently didn't notice there was someone at the wheel of the car when he was trying to steal his neighbor's hubcaps.

Terrence Dickson of Bristol, Pennsylvania, was leaving a house he had just finished robbing by way of the garage. He was not able to get the garage door to go up since the automatic door opener was malfunctioning. He couldn't reenter the house because the door connecting the house and garage locked when he pulled it shut. The family was on vacation, and Mr. Dickson found himself locked in the garage for eight days. He subsisted on a case of Pepsi he found, and a large bag of dry dog food. He sued the homeowner's insurance claiming the situation caused him undue mental anguish. The jury agreed, to the tune of $500,000.

Jerry Williams of Little Rock, Arkansas, was awarded $14,500 and medical expenses after being bitten on the buttocks by his next door neighbor's beagle. The beagle was on a chain in its owner's fenced yard. The award was less than sought because the jury felt the dog might have been just a little provoked at the time by Mr. Williams, who was shooting it repeatedly with a pellet gun.

A Philadelphia restaurant was ordered to pay Amber Carson of Lancaster, Pennsylvania, $113,500 after she slipped on a soft drink and broke her coccyx! (tailbone). The beverage was on the floor because Ms. Carson had thrown it at her boyfriend 30 seconds earlier during an argument.

Kara Walton of Claymont, Delaware, successfully sued the owner of a night club in a neighboring city when she fell from the bathroom window to the floor and knocked out her two front teeth. This occurred while Ms. Walton was trying to sneak through the window in the ladies room to avoid paying the $3.50 cover charge. She was awarded $12,000 and dental expenses.

This year's favorite could easily be Mr. Merv Grazinski of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. Mr. Grazinski purchased a brand new 32-foot Winnebago motor home. On his first trip home, having driven onto the freeway, he set the cruise control at 70 mph and calmly left the drivers seat to go into the back and make himself a cup of coffee. Not surprisingly, the RV left the freeway, crashed and overturned. Mr. Grazinski sued Winnebago for not advising him in the owner's manual that he couldn't actually do this. The jury awarded him $1,750,000 plus a new motor home. The company actually changed their manuals on the basis of this suit, just in case there were any other complete morons buying their recreation vehicles.

coliseum once bubbled...
Interesting subject... I was just thinking about it the other day... I had an OW student (F) and there was a slightly strong current on the OW dive 4. I did have to grab the student by the BCD (I was afraid this might be taken negatively but nothing happened.

While Diving there are a number of Situations where you must have contact, specially in currents or when the student starts to drift upwards! the reasons we as instructors are afraid of contact in general is due to the legal system in the US. Anyone can sue you for anything and you can get into real trouble even if your intentions were honest and in the best interest of the student.

I have below a bunch of funny incidents... They are sad but true!!!

The STELLA AWARDS!

It's time once again to consider the candidates for the 2003 Stella Awards. The Stella's are named after 81-year-old Stella Liebeck who spilled coffee on herself and successfully sued McDonalds. That case inspired the Stella Awards for the most uniquely successful lawsuits in the United States for last year. Actually, joint awards should be given to the plaintiff attorneys and the flaming idiots on the juries who awarded anything at all to these morons--who deserved NOTHING!!!!The following are this year's candidates:

Kathleen Robertson of Austin, Texas, was awarded $780,000 by a jury of her peers after breaking her ankle tripping over a toddler who was running inside a furniture store. The owners of the store were understandably surprised at the verdict, considering the misbehaving little toddler was Ms. Robertson's son.

A 19-year-old Carl Truman of Los Angeles won $74,000 and medical expenses when his neighbor ran over his hand with a Honda Accord. Mr. Truman apparently didn't notice there was someone at the wheel of the car when he was trying to steal his neighbor's hubcaps.

Terrence Dickson of Bristol, Pennsylvania, was leaving a house he had just finished robbing by way of the garage. He was not able to get the garage door to go up since the automatic door opener was malfunctioning. He couldn't reenter the house because the door connecting the house and garage locked when he pulled it shut. The family was on vacation, and Mr. Dickson found himself locked in the garage for eight days. He subsisted on a case of Pepsi he found, and a large bag of dry dog food. He sued the homeowner's insurance claiming the situation caused him undue mental anguish. The jury agreed, to the tune of $500,000.

Jerry Williams of Little Rock, Arkansas, was awarded $14,500 and medical expenses after being bitten on the buttocks by his next door neighbor's beagle. The beagle was on a chain in its owner's fenced yard. The award was less than sought because the jury felt the dog might have been just a little provoked at the time by Mr. Williams, who was shooting it repeatedly with a pellet gun.

A Philadelphia restaurant was ordered to pay Amber Carson of Lancaster, Pennsylvania, $113,500 after she slipped on a soft drink and broke her coccyx! (tailbone). The beverage was on the floor because Ms. Carson had thrown it at her boyfriend 30 seconds earlier during an argument.

Kara Walton of Claymont, Delaware, successfully sued the owner of a night club in a neighboring city when she fell from the bathroom window to the floor and knocked out her two front teeth. This occurred while Ms. Walton was trying to sneak through the window in the ladies room to avoid paying the $3.50 cover charge. She was awarded $12,000 and dental expenses.

This year's favorite could easily be Mr. Merv Grazinski of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. Mr. Grazinski purchased a brand new 32-foot Winnebago motor home. On his first trip home, having driven onto the freeway, he set the cruise control at 70 mph and calmly left the drivers seat to go into the back and make himself a cup of coffee. Not surprisingly, the RV left the freeway, crashed and overturned. Mr. Grazinski sued Winnebago for not advising him in the owner's manual that he couldn't actually do this. The jury awarded him $1,750,000 plus a new motor home. The company actually changed their manuals on the basis of this suit, just in case there were any other complete morons buying their recreation vehicles.

Funny, but all of that is basically false, even the Stella part. Stella spilled coffee on herself, yes, but the part people leave out is that the McDonald's in question kept its coffee at roughly 185 degrees to "preserve taste." At this temperature, the coffee is completely unfit for even sipping. The coffee was supposed to be around *135 - 140* degrees. The McDonald's had recieved a number of formal complaints about the extremely high temperature of their coffee and took no corrective action.

The *most* important part is that Stella made every attempt to settle with McDonald's out of court, asking McDonald's to pay her medical bills and the measly sum of $20,000 for the extreme trauma she encountered - *eight days* of hospitalization. They refused.

Any reasonable person expects to get burned when the spill coffee. That's not the issue. No reasonable person can - or should - expect third degree (that's FULL THICKNESS) burns. You shouldn't have to spend eight days in a hospital for spilling coffee. McDonald's ignored complaints and turned a blind eye to the fact that their coffee was extraordinarily hot by any standards, then they refused to take responsibility for what happened, and I think they deserve what they got.

Thanks for the insight :)

Is that why they dont serve coffee or tea using boiling water in Airplanes?

you know, tea does not taste well if the water was not boiled...

Anyways...

Are you a lawyer? :)

I've never thought about this before but having read the other posts it's obviously an issue.

I've always been a believer in good, honest, human contact from medical assistance to getting your hair cut. It's so sad that in a sport where, for safety and practical reasons, contact is necessary that we have such outrageous reports.

In all my diving experiences I have been comfortable in the knowledge that if needs be, my instructor/buddy will grab me physically with the sole purpose of helping me put.

I hope the worry of physical contact won't put off existing or new divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom