PI Cellphones 101

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you have a friend who can loan you a cell phone that accomodates a SIM card, I recommend you just get it unlocked. If you're paying more than P500 you're getting ripped off.

Getting it unlocked just means it will work in North America or Asia. You can give it back to your friend and they wouldn't know the difference.

ditto

Thanks, guys! Not a possibility at this stage to borrow a cell as I don't have time. I leave in just over a day and still have things to do.

Any thoughts on this:

What about payphones? I'm guessing I won't have a problem locating one at either ferry terminals or airports? Are they generally found in working order? What is the cost for local and long distance (one province to another) calls? I'm guessing I need a pocketful of change... :confused:

am sorry but payphones are becoming obsolete since almost everyone has a cellphone in the Philippines. its not often that you will find payphones and even rarer to find one working.

jigo's right...

also when you do find them there are about 2 - 5 DIFFERENT payphone providers... each one uses a non-compatible phone card... so to be prepared you'd best carry around all the different brands of phone cards... w/c would cost you about 1,500 anyway...

it sucks but with the way payphones are going dinosaur-wise, it's a sad reality...

buy a phone, then give it to a young nephew or niece or child or something when you get home... the good karma points will serve you well

Jag

STEP:

1. buy a cheap unlocked cell phone in the PI.

2. Buy Globe or Smart SIM.

3. Use in the PI.

4. Come back to Canada with cheap unlocked cell phone.

5. Buy a cheap fido or t-mobile SIM.

6. Show off to friends and family that you have finally caught up with the 21st century and you now have a cell phone.

:D

on a serious note, last year my friend bought a new Sony phone for $75 when it cost $250 used in the US. Great deals in the PI! Shop around with the differents vendors and tell them that you only have P1000 to spend on a phone and see who'll give you a deal. $10 cell phones were buyable.....4 years ago (thanks economy!).

LOL you guys just made me think of somthing

THE BEST ADVICE I CAN GIVE is take a cell phone whit a cam and take a picture of the gurl when u get her no

so this way you will know witch gurl is witch .. very usefull lol

EDIT: btw if u paid express post back and foward i dont mind passing u my nokia , it still have load valid in it ...

Last edited:
Thanks, guys! Not a possibility at this stage to borrow a cell as I don't have time. I leave in just over a day and still have things to do.

Any thoughts on this:

What about payphones? I'm guessing I won't have a problem locating one at either ferry terminals or airports? Are they generally found in working order? What is the cost for local and long distance (one province to another) calls? I'm guessing I need a pocketful of change... :confused:

Hmmm...maybe you could get a "girlfriend" to accompany you on your trip. I'm sure she'd have a cell phone. Ooops sorry I think that would blow your budget.:shakehead:

It occured to me during my massage this evening that I have a 3 hour layover in Tokyo on the way to Manila. I'll check out the prices for an unlocked phone in the airport shops. Hopefully they're comparable to the prices in Manila...

Thanks again for the suggestions! :)

Luddite no more! I bought a cellphone for 660PHP at a stall in some mall near the airport at Cebu. Me, in the 21st century... who knew? :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom