Picaridin vs. DEET in the war against sand fleas.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

morecowbells

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
On my last two trips to the Caribbean I used Picaridin over DEET to prevent mosquito bites and gnats. I found out about it on the World Health Organization website and was very happy with the results, no odor or stickiness. I am one of those unfortunate sensitive skinned people who does not tolerate DEET very well. However, I have not ever had the pleasure of sand flea bites. Does anybody have any experience in what works better? Thanks in advance:D

I can't say I've ever heard of Picaridin, but I do have a bucket of 100% DEET that i bought before they banned it. I've had success with it. Now I've only ever experienced the sand fleas at sunset and adopted a tactic of simply going inside at that time. Have a shower, catch up on email, read a novel...

The little buggers aren't active for all that long and I figure it's worth it to just avoid them rather than spend the evening soaking in a chemical stew. If you're no so fussed about "appearances" there's always the socks, long pants and long sleeved shirt method.

Hey, I'm a walking Picardin advertisement on every trip to CCV. :D

But I know from first-hand experience that the whole "DEET is bad" argument seems to stir up a lot of trouble around here (even though I happen to agree with it)...

Hence, the popcorn guy: :popcorn:

.... argument seems to stir up a lot of trouble around here (even though I happen to agree with it)...

Hence, the popcorn guy: :popcorn:

Hence the :search: guy

:rofl3:

Actually I did try searching the forum and found plenty of information of Picaridin and mosquitoes but not much including Picaridin and sand fleas. I appreciate the answers on personal experiences and information. Looks like I will be packing some pants not only for evening coverage against the critters, but to keep warm. It's looking a little chilly down there.

Duplicate post.

DEET masks mosquito attractants by disturbing the chemical receptors on the mosquito antennae. I doubt that it would have the same effect on sand fleas.I suspect that Picaridin exhibits similar properties.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom