Picaridin vs. DEET in the war against sand fleas.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The sandlies on Roatan can be problematic any time of day. Maybe a bit more at dawn and or dusk according to some but that has not been my experience. Never took the time to look at them under a magnifying glass to see the color of their wings

Here in Belize you don't need a microscope. You can tell by the appearance of the bite.
And the white wing is more aggressive in the daylight hours.
As RoatanMan stated, the dark one is extremely aggressive in the dawn hours. But as you say, they'll get you all day long if you sit in one area for a few minutes.

Here in Belize you don't need a microscope. You can tell by the appearance of the bite.
And the white wing is more aggressive in the daylight hours.
As RoatanMan stated, the dark one is extremely aggressive in the dawn hours. But as you say, they'll get you all day long if you sit in one area for a few minutes.
Maybe Roatan has both? I feel them bite at times and seldom have a mark yet i see some folks with big red marks and sometimes the white dot so who knows? I do know that when i am protected with my repellent with deet I have no problems with them and that is why I have a bottle at my decks as well as ready when i exit the sea and another near the shower area. I will gladly try the picaridan if i can find it for $1 or $2 a bottle at the local discount supply place but so far no luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom