PICTURE HEAVY. New Diver that scored big on craigslist. Help ID. Scubapro.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For the grey-beard tech at my LDS, it's part of his standard regulator service to check the SPG for accuracy. I'm not a technician so I'm not sure if this is a standard practice or not. Perhaps a tech somebody more knowledgable could enlighten us all?

+
A recent prominent death on this very SB listed an inaccurate SPG as a possible contributing factor to a dive fatality...I know all it does is gauge the pressure and wont even drain your tank very fast but thinking you have more air than you do can kill you imho.

I have 2 SPGs both over 40 years old. Tough, accurate and reliable. I’d put either one up against any new spg including the hoseless ones.
Your opinion is a little skewed by inexperience IMO.

the problem with relying on an accuracy check of the spg is that it is good until the first dive after service. Maybe. Gauges can fail at any time. Sometimes they just crap out. Other times they will go gradually. This is why they really should be used as a back up. Knowing your SAC rate, how to plan gas usage on a dive, and being able to estimate your usage can be invaluable.

As is knowing the actual pressure you start with. We talk about analyzing gas for O2. How many bother to also check pressure with the shop's gauge and your own when you pick up your tanks and record it on the contents label? And yes you should do that with just air. So that when the shop gauge reads 3000 psi and yours shows 2500 you know that someone has an issue you need to deal with before getting in the water with that tank.
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

As said above you bought a bunch of gear that is old and comes with service issues. The old Mk5 is a work horse that many people like. But service might be an issue unless you find the right shop. You could spend a bunch on service and new hoses. The gauges if accurate and precise are no different than the ones bought today. The wing if it holds air looks to be a taco wing (i.e. way bigger than it needs to be for warm water diving). The inflater will need serviced - though many places just replace them. The ScubaPro J-valve is unique in that it has a built gauge on the back probably set for 2250 psi. However, the face looks dented. The cylinder is a AL6351 Alloy and as said comes with its own issues.

The OP is not the first person to post up to the board after making such purchases looking for confirmation that they got a good deal. Should have come to the board before​ and asked for help. IMHO you bought a pile of gear which while it can be used is not ideal and needs service. Now if yer Uncle gave it to ya then I would have said sure service it and have some retro gear.

You bought a bunch of junk and thought you scored BIG? LOL

I'm a new diver and was thinking of buying used gear vs new and eventually decided new because when buying used gear as a newbie you have no way to tell if a used BC, SPG, tank or regulator is still good or not. If you're lucky you might have some kind of mentor who can recognize when something can still be used and serviceable but most do not. Posting a bunch of pictures with detailed information and asking people for their advice isn't enough. Go get your money back.

You bought a bunch of junk and thought you scored BIG? LOL

I'm a new diver and was thinking of buying used gear vs new and eventually decided new because when buying used gear as a newbie you have no way to tell if a used BC, SPG, tank or regulator is still good or not. If you're lucky you might have some kind of mentor who can recognize when something can still be used and serviceable but most do not. Posting a bunch of pictures with detailed information and asking people for their advice isn't enough. Go get your money back.

Thanks for sharing your opinion. The wetsuit alone was worth what i paid. The other stuff has some residual value, and even if i end up selling it I'll make money off of the transaction (neglecting the wetsuit).

Thanks for stopping by and spewing insults. Take care now.

I can also tell you didn't bother to read any of the responses as the stuff isn't worthless.

The OP is not the first person to post up to the board after making such purchases looking for confirmation that they got a good deal. Should have come to the board before​ and asked for help. IMHO you bought a pile of gear which while it can be used is not ideal and needs service. Now if yer Uncle gave it to ya then I would have said sure service it and have some retro gear.
I went for a reg set, and he wasn't even sure of the model. I took a gamble, and have already had offers on some of the equipment allowing it to break even. it was $50. I wasn't going to drive out, photograph it, drive back, ask for your confirmation/permission to buy it, then drive back out to make the purchase. He didnt even have some of the stuff listed.

Regardless, I'll more than cover my cost in this equipment through selling. If I were purchasing something off of a website or shop I'd ask around about the quality first, but given this was a used set of gear at a pretty steep discount I wasn't going to waste days to hear you say "oh we permit you to buy it."

I don't really care whether or not you think it's junk and that i got ripped off; I'll make a bit of money through selling it (which may not even happen because the regs seem like they could be decent back up regs).

The wetsuit alone was worth what i paid.

I'd be careful about celebrating the wetsuit purchase either. Depends on how old it is and how often it was dived. Wetsuits do not improve with age - rather they compress and lose their thermal insulation properties.

I'd be careful about celebrating the wetsuit purchase either. Depends on how old it is and how often it was dived. Wetsuits do not improve with age - rather they compress and lose their thermal insulation properties.

Yeah but just think about how many times someone has pee'd into that used wetsuit? More insultation!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom