pictures of the sewage mess in Waikiki

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wonder what the biggest risk is? I should know, but I don't. Hepatitis? GI dysentery?

leptospirosis- transmitted through animal urine and sewer water (from the paper)

Leptospirosis is a bacterial disease, transmitted through indirect (usually water) exposure to infected animal urine.
» Symptoms include high fever, severe headache, chills, muscle aches and vomiting. If not treated, leptospirosis can be fatal or cause kidney damage or liver failure.

» It can be contracted through the mouth, nose, eyes or cuts.

» Those cleaning up after the Windward Oahu floods should stay away from standing water and mud as much as possible and always wear protective equipment, including waterproof gloves and boots.

» The incubation period for leptospirosis is between three and 30 days after exposure. Those who have had exposure to flood waters and experience symptoms of leptospirosis should seek medical attention.

I am sure there is much more than just lepto in the waters. Why isn't the EPA after the city? The city jumps all over the military when a ship hits a reef and damages it, but nothing is being said with all the raw sewage going into the ocean which affects the reef and sealife. If it doesn't kill the animals it will contaminate them so when everyone is out fishing for dinner they will get ill. Hope the city gets some hefty fines. I realize you can't control the weather, but they are so slack until something happens and it is too late. Okay, enough or I will write a novel about my grievances. (LOL)

I am sure there will be some head shaking...doubt that there will be much else. I was reading the article in the paper and they were all like "there was nothing else that we could be do! It would have come back into the hotels and homes...now what's worse?" Stupid question - either solution results in the same thing... I bunch of stink.

It should have never come this far. Thank you Ex-Mayor Jeremy...what do you think of Waikiki now???

Yuck Lisa, so sorry you are dealing with that! Stay out of the water if you can!

Jennifer

ch0ppersrule:
I am sure there is much more than just lepto in the waters. Why isn't the EPA after the city? The city jumps all over the military when a ship hits a reef and damages it, but nothing is being said with all the raw sewage going into the ocean which affects the reef and sealife. If it doesn't kill the animals it will contaminate them so when everyone is out fishing for dinner they will get ill. Hope the city gets some hefty fines. (LOL)

Well, I know why. :wink:

The U.S. government (AND the E.P.A.) is currently trying to reverse many of it's pre-existing water quality regulations, not strengthen them. There was a proposal forwarded by the executive branch recently, that if implemented, would have permitted only crudely-treated sewage to be dumped EVERY TIME it rained. The argument was, the rain would "dilute the sewage".

There's a lot of support for this legislation, due to water treatment infrastructure throughout the U.S. becoming very expensive to maintain. Most of it's legacy-stuff from the 1970's, and it's getting worn out.

So you folks should count yourselves lucky!

Thanks Jennifer...it means we'll have to wait a bit longer for you and yours to come and visit :wink:

archman:
There was a proposal forwarded by the executive branch recently, that if implemented, would have permitted only crudely-treated sewage to be dumped EVERY TIME it rained.

Wow, that's just great news now isn't it? Imagine everyone will want to come to Hawaii and enjoy that now won't they?...
29.gif

inside scoop of the day

Today they wanted to dive the YO, but the brown water was heading to the YO and towards Waikiki.

Stopping off at Ala Wai Harbor - the smell was as if you were sitting directly in a sewage plant. Aside from dead fish there were also dead rats floating, bloated in the water...not pretty

Back
Top Bottom