"Piece of Paper Syndrome"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I rather doubt that Trace. Cousteau's teams were pros, but in a very different sense. The were pros in terms of getting the job done with what was available on site and at the moment. Sometimes that meant everything including the kitchen sink, other times that meant seemingly inadequate assemblages of junk that required the application of a high level of diverse skill. It really didn't matter if you used a horse collar, a BC a BP/w or none at all ... as long as you got the job done well. In fact, it would be best if you could rise to the same level of performance regardless of what was available. It was never a question of how good can you look with a BP/w, but rather how good can you look regardless, and at a moments notice.

Thal, I agree. Yet, Cousteau always seemed to admire those things that were visually poetic. When we think of the DIR community, we often think of the newly-converted or those with no legitimate diving experience beyond DIR. I really wasn't thinking of these divers. I was thinking of the guys with real diving experience who know when, how and why DIR is best applied.

I was also thinking of the true precision that can be learned by top divers. It's very easy to take a few days or a couple of weeks and coach an experienced and adaptable diver to look pretty and dive like Blue Angels fly. It's not so easy to take a diver who learned to look pretty in a a few days or weeks and make that diver into an experienced diver who can get the job done.

I think Cousteau would find the same sort of value I discovered in DIR and cave training and see its potential for creating art on film.

From what I saw most of his folks were already well beyond that.

From what I saw most of his folks were already well beyond that.

Thal, you know that I hold you in the highest regard. I also hold the Cousteau team in the same level of respect. The diving I've seen the Cousteau team do was very good in The Undersea World of Jacques Cousteau, Cousteau's Rediscovery of the World, National Geographic specials and the like, but it wasn't at the same degree of precision that I've experienced and that I'm talking about.

The USMC silent drill team takes weapon handling to a level above what even the sharpest marines demonstrate in normal arms presentation. The Blue Angels take flying to a degree beyond what even some of the best veteran naval aviators do in combat formations.

Imagine a team of divers being able to be locked into perfect trim at the same depth, be absolutely still, even synchronize breathing, and seem to resemble a precision freefall team reversing, turning on axis, and maneuvering together in some sort of ballet of man performing within nature's stage - much like synchronized swimming mixed with accomplishing tasks. I think Cousteau would have grooved on it.

Based on what I know of Cousteau from his television specials and books, I think he would find something positive in many aspects of today's scuba. He would admire the new technologies and techniques for how they refine the art of diving, but I think he would also appreciate how much of the equipment today makes diving far more accessible to average people. I might be assuming wrong, of course, but I think - in his mind - he would applaud anything that helps being greater awareness of the oceans to more people, and raises our concerns for preserving the marine environment.

How many of us are putting efforts into shark conservation, not because of what we've read or seen on television, but because of what we have seen on dives? It's not just ourselves that our diving affects in this regard, either. How many people know us, and take our word about our experiences, where they might be more likely to dismiss someone like Cousteau because he was somehow "super-human"? Cousteau was an expert, so of course he had no problems with sharks. He knew how to handle them. Regular people like you and me? Sharks are a danger to us. I'm a regular person, and my perception of sharks has changed dramatically in the less than two years since we got certified. Hopefully, I've also helped others to start looking at sharks differently.

I think Msr. Cousteau would approve.

Thal, you know that I hold you in the highest regard. I also hold the Cousteau team in the same level of respect. The diving I've seen the Cousteau team do was very good in The Undersea World of Jacques Cousteau, Cousteau's Rediscovery of the World, National Geographic specials and the like, but it wasn't at the same degree of precision that I've experienced and that I'm talking about.

The USMC silent drill team takes weapon handling to a level above what even the sharpest marines demonstrate in normal arms presentation. The Blue Angels take flying to a degree beyond what even some of the best veteran naval aviators do in combat formations.

Imagine a team of divers being able to be locked into perfect trim at the same depth, be absolutely still, even synchronize breathing, and seem to resemble a precision freefall team reversing, turning on axis, and maneuvering together in some sort of ballet of man performing within nature's stage - much like synchronized swimming mixed with accomplishing tasks. I think Cousteau would have grooved on it.
As I do you.

I can't say what Captain Cousteau might have thought about it, I did not know him well, however, I suspect that Dumas would have thought it a bit effete and "hothouse grown" to pass on a dive because you had the wrong sort of BC (or even to pass on a dive because you did not have a BC at all).

As I do you.

I can't say what Captain Cousteau might have thought about it, I did not know him well, however, I suspect that Dumas would have thought it a bit effete and "hothouse grown" to pass on a dive because you had the wrong sort of BC (or even to pass on a dive because you did not have a BC at all).

Well, I just thought of something. Obviously, we are just speculating, but if I recollect correctly, Alexandra Cousteau was diving a Hogarthian rig during a cave diving segment in some documentary. It may have been the 1999 version of The Aquanauts TV series if I'm thinking of the right one?

I've been following this thread from the sidelines for a while. Those of you who know my back story and have read my posts before will probably already know what I think regarding C-cards.

I have never considered basic, recreational SCUBA diving to be "inherently dangerous." At least no more (and probably considerably less) than driving a car, flying a small plane, riding a bicycle on a busy street or any of a myriad other human pursuits we all do on a daily basis. Yes, there are rules that one must follow or a fatal accident can result. But this is true in virtually everything else we do day-to-day. Our parents taught us to take small bites, chew our food well and swallow carefully. Why? Because, if you're careless, you can choke on your food and die. We were taught as children to cross the street only at the corner and stop, look and listen for approaching vehicles before stepping onto the street. Why? Because a moment of inattentiveness could be very dangerous, even fatal. Every day, we routinely engage in activities that are far riskier than SCUBA. Each of those activities has its own, unique set of safety rules that must be followed or bad things happen. Do we think of the danger? No, because these are things we do every day and and those safety rules are ingrained and we follow them automatically.

For many years, the basic instruction a new diver would get for his first dives would be little more than "Breathe normally at all times. NEVER hold your breathe on compressed air. Pay careful attention to your down time and don't exceed the NDL on your Navy dive tables. Come up slower than your smallest, slowest bubbles." We had J-valves and no SPG, so we used an arbitrary SAC rate of 1 cu. ft. per min. when figuring air supply in minutes. This was generally conservative and unless we did it on purpose, we seldom had to turn on the reserve. I learned to dive this way in 1965 and I still dive this way now. I have never been bent (Knock on wood :D)

40 years ago, when someone asked an old-style SCUBA diver if diving was dangerous, they would usually just laugh and say "Nah! Ya wanna try it sometime?" The old timers were always eager to introduce someone new to the underwater world. But nowadays, I frequently hear newly minted OW divers pontificating on how dangerous the sport is and that diving without being certified will get you killed. I'm beginning to think it's an ego thing. I suppose this makes sense from a business standpoint. If new divers can be convinced that they belong to some kind of special, elite group, maybe they'll be more willing to drop those thousands of dollars for more training and tons of unnecessary gear.

Every time there is a diving accident somewhere in the world, the elitists come forth with their "See? I told you so!" as if the occasional accident proves how special they are and how dangerous their sport is. Now, don't get me wrong, I am always saddened to hear of a diver's death. But let's get real! On any given day, there are tens of thousands of recreational divers swimming in the world's waters. When you consider the relatively low numbers of divers who have some sort of accident against the astronomical number of man-hours spent underwater, it becomes quite obvious that recreational diving is one of the safest sports. Just because someone occasionally has a lapse of judgment doesn't make the sport inherently dangerous.

There have been several posts here discussing panicked divers. Perhaps if new SCUBA students weren't bombarded with so much hype about diving's supposedly high danger factor, maybe their anxiety level wouldn't be so high.

Instead of negatively harping on "if you do this, you're gonna die!" maybe we should go back to the old, positive approach and say, "This is the way you have to do this. If you don't, you could really hurt yourself but if you follow these rules, you'll be just fine!"

The man who taught me to dive was never certified and neither was I for my first 11 years of diving. I finally got certified for one reason only: Starting in the mid 1970s, I needed that damned card to get my tank filled.

Recreational SCUBA diving is not rocket science and it doesn't require supermen with genius level IQs to learn how to dive safely. You don't even have to understand the physics behind the rules, though it does help to reinforce their importance. Will divers do stupid things? Of course they will. It's human nature. No amount of training will ever cure stupidity and a pocketful of little plastic cards won't make a penny's worth of difference.

One thing that I think is lacking in current SCUBA training is the lack of snorkeling skills. I honestly believe that people should master the art of snorkeling before moving on to SCUBA. Once a person can consistently free dive to 30 feet or so and feel relaxed and at home in the underwater environment with only fins, mask and snorkel, the transition to SCUBA is a piece of cake. If you can free dive to 30 or 40 feet holding your breath, then a CESA from recreational depths becomes little more than an annoyance.

Please note that the above does not include cave, wreck or deep diving. These are entirely different animals and in this area, I wholeheartedly agree with those who advocate extensive training and specialized dive gear. And I don't know much more than the basic principals of CCR, so I cannot comment on this subject.

I will now climb down from my soap box and don my flame proof suit.

In 1984, George Orwell described the concept of Doublethink, which I will slightly modify to describe the ability to hold two contradictory thoughts in one's head simultaneously and believe both to be true.

Thought One: Scuba is a simple and safe process that can be taught by anyone with any experience to any new diver without any formal training in instruction.

Thought Two: Scuba is a highly complex and dangerous activity, and modern instruction is so bereft of technique and content that students who learn from poorly trained instructors are in constant danger of losing their lives.

I've been following this thread from the sidelines for a while ...

... I will now climb down from my soap box and don my flame proof suit.

Um ... personally, I think this is my favorite SB post ... EVER!

In 1984, George Orwell described the concept of Doublethink, which I will slightly modify to describe the ability to hold two contradictory thoughts in one's head simultaneously and believe both to be true.

Thought One: Scuba is a simple and safe process that can be taught by anyone with any experience to any new diver without any formal training in instruction.

Thought Two: Scuba is a highly complex and dangerous activity, and modern instruction is so bereft of technique and content that students who learn from poorly trained instructors are in constant danger of losing their lives.

How about Thought Three:

It is very easy to breathe underwater using scuba and in ideal conditions and shallow water it may actually be a safe process that can be taught by anyone with any experience to any new diver without formal training and instruction, but under other circumstances, perhaps unforeseen by divers who don't have formal training and the experience to know what they don't know, scuba can become a highly complex and dangerous activity that requires the diver to possess greater knowledge content and greater techniques than many trained instructors provide; and while divers are not in constant danger of losing their lives, training bereft of technique may damage the sport, the environment and the safety of the diver - sometimes that damage is fatal.

Back
Top Bottom