Placement of 30 cu ft 2nd pony for videographer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

drbill

The Lorax for the Kelp Forest
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I dive with an HP120 as my primary tank and a 19 cu ft pony side mounted on that tank. Over the past 6 months I've started doing occasional deep dives (150-200 ft) and know that in the event of a primary system failure my 19 cu ft pony is marginal in getting me safely to the surface.

I want to add a 30 cu ft pony on my deep dives only, but am concerned about the best way to carry it so it does not interfere with my video work... either by being in the way when I plant on the bottom or stirring up the fine sediments so common at these depths.

I can't see slinging it in view of the above. I have thought about clipping it behind me, but that is difficult with the HP120.

Any suggestions?

Suggestions?? here we go.

Get a grip on yourself.

OK now I'll try and be a little more kind here.....

The only way to do stuff like this without becoming the CF you've already got going is to be on a set of doubles first and foremost.

I'll leave the volumes of other info you require to your tech instructor you should be getting this info from. What a nightmare.

Is this what passes for dive knowledge these days?

Not to mention that not being trained for these deep dives yet running around here saying you're doing them to 200ft with a pony is more than likely against some sort of TOS agreement,....or at least it should be. What you're already doing is a pile of nonsense much less what you want to do going forward.

And people wonder why I cut no slack to diver's who tell me their 30yrs of divng and 5000 dives tell me all I need to know.......

good luck.

drbill:
I dive with an HP120 as my primary tank and a 19 cu ft pony side mounted on that tank. Over the past 6 months I've started doing occasional deep dives (150-200 ft) and know that in the event of a primary system failure my 19 cu ft pony is marginal in getting me safely to the surface.

I want to add a 30 cu ft pony on my deep dives only, but am concerned about the best way to carry it so it does not interfere with my video work... either by being in the way when I plant on the bottom or stirring up the fine sediments so common at these depths.

I can't see slinging it in view of the above. I have thought about clipping it behind me, but that is difficult with the HP120.

Any suggestions?

200' dives on a single tank and a size large argon bottle? These dives must be solo because I cant see anybody tagging along for these ones...IMO, slinging your 30cft bottle is the last of your worries. I'm going to assume your profile is up to date and your not trained in decompression procedures? On top of that, I wouldnt touch 150' without trimix...

Awww, man. The popcorn icon isn't working

Where's the popcorn?

1. Buy a set of doubles
  2. Learn to use the set of doubles
  3. get a reasonable sized decompression bottle (al40)
  4. take an introductory trimix class, i.e. triox or helitrox

That will get you to 150-160ish. To get to 200
  1. Get some experience in the 150ish range
  2. get another deco bottle
  3. learn to use the 2nd deco bottle
  4. take a normoxic trimix class

Two al40s can easily be slung on your left side clipped to the shoulder and hip drings. They ride up and out of the way and should not interfere with your videography....once you get the education, equipment, and right kind of experience to do these dives.

I concur with the advice regarding doubles. At the depths you are considering, you want redundant primary tanks filled with gas, not a pony. The "ponys" should then be deco gas and slinged (slung? slang? sleng? :confused: )

what you really need to do is get yourself another al19 and put a scrubber inbetween them. :wink:
then you can silently sneak up on your prey [subjects]. but... even then you will need to sling some bailout.

the doubles actually sound best for the depths you're talking about. [given you dont want to sling]

Scuba_Steve... I think the "About me" in your profile says it all.

I don't think people are understanding my point. Yes, I do dive to 150-200 ft on air with a pony currently which is why I want to have the additional air on these deep dives. Doubles do not offer the flexibility I desire to do my normal depth dives OR deep dives depending on site selection by the dive boat captain. I'm not going to carry doubles AND my single rig onto the boat.

The ponies can't be slung without interfering with my film work... this was my reason for posting this.

As far as certification, I believe I just had AOW listed previously. I have had years of experience doing deco dives. I also have very little narcosis effect even at these depths... I am perfectly capable of locating subject matter, framing it properly, following it and making wise decisions as to when to begin my ascent. I have never required a pony to complete my deco obligations.

And, yes, I dive these depths solo... I don't want the added problems associated with anyone but the most experienced diver. I've been diving solo since the mid 60's.

As for my dive experience and abilities, the tech instructors here and LDS owner (also a tech diver) know my skills level and have no problem with my diving even though it is on the shop's boat. As far as I can see, I have more dives than those who responded added together.

Now, at least I can thank Soggy for some advice worth trying. I appreciate the concern expressed by the others, but you really offer little advice valid for the configuration I am diving. If the question was "Am I safe doing these dives with this configuration" then your responses would be appropriate. However that was NOT the question.

I believe the way you dive after this many years says it all actually....

So what's your point, I'm right and you don't like me?

OK, I can live with that too.

The problem with doing it wrong this long is you'll never take Soggy's advice anyway.

Your entire post (#8) tells me I can take that to the bank.

Remember this a year from now when you haven't changed one bit, then Soggy will tell it to you then like I did today.

I'd tell ya to have a safe one, but that would be pointless, ditto for your LDS owner and tech instructor I'd imagine.

The best thing about scubaboard and threads like this are when I can show new divers just how daft people are when it comes to thinking they're diving safely.

200ft solo on air with a pony and no narcosis.............

A real nightmare.

Scuba_Steve:
200ft solo on air with a pony and no narcosis.............
You forgot...decoing out on air.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom