Planning a Trip - Need Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RicHeaD

Reaction score
I found a book "Divers guide to underwater america" and it claims "Dale Hollow Lake" has 130 ft depth and 25 to 30 ft. vis. with "pastel slate walls drop to 90 feet." As I would be traveling from Texas:

1. Is the book right ?
2. Would it be worth the trip ? as Iam bring a motorhome and gas ain't cheap.
3. What would be the best time of year ? I was planning April or May.

Let me know Piranhas. Thanks in advance.

Richard

The Evansville Scuba Club (see the link in my signature) is planning a weekend trip in late June. If you are here then or anyone from the KPP wants to come, feel free to join in with us. We haven't set a solid date yet, but it looks like it's going to be Fri.- Sun. June 22-24. Here are some links that may be of some interest for you. http://www.willowgrove.com/diveshop.html , http://www.lrn.usace.army.mil/op/DAL/rec/scuba.htm , http://parks.ky.gov/resortparks/dh/details.htm .

Hope this helps you out a bit.

Richard,
The water will be fairly chilly during April or May. Also, even though I didn't check the links Tammy provided, the water level is way down on that lake due to problems with the dam so I doubt you will be getting those depths in many areas of the lake. Some of the deeper areas not typically available to recreational divers may now be accesible though.

I have dove Lake Cumberland and really enjoyed it. I would suggest contacting Divers Den. They can probably tell you all you need to know about where to dive. They are located in Somerset, Ky.

I'm cornfused as usual, I thought the dam issue was at Wolf Creek in Somerset. :confused:

I know the Army Corp has dropped levels as much as 40' in the Cumberland Basin,
I saw a huge change in levels last year.

Did this also effect the Dale Hollow Lake/Dam area? Wouldn't another dam in
the Tennessee area compensate for levels on that portion of the basin?

You'all have to excuse me, I'm not from around here, you know! :D

Oooops a correction is in order. I mistakenly mentioned Lake Cumberland. I dove the Eagle creek area of Dale Hollow Lake with Bill Ross in July of '03.

I've heard tons of good things about Dale Hollow! We've definately got to get a KPP trip together for it this year. From what I've been told though you need to rent a pontoon to get to most of the dive sites. One of the rental places has a pontoon set up for diving.

Richard, let us know if you make the trip. Maybe we could all work something out.

When Dean had the treasure hunt this last year the Corp had the entire dam area
taken over for pending repairs. We had to move over to another cove area and it
was horrible. Three of us grouped up for the hunt, as soon as we dumped our bc's
we were solo divers! Viz was ZERO, I did a 12 minute dive at an average depth of
8' with my mask down in the mud looking for flags. The area around Somerset is
going to have a huge negative economic impact. I heard the dam project is going
to go through 2010. I hope Dale Hollow is spared all this, at least the divers down
there will have an alternate site to go dive.

Land Locked:
I hope Dale Hollow is spared all this, at least the divers down
there will have an alternate site to go dive.

Thats the only impact the Lake Cumberlad project will have on Dale Hollow Lake. I think Laurel Lake will get more of the crowd spill over than Dale Hollow will though. Every time I've been to Cumberland allot of the boaters were from Ohio and Dale Hollow will likely be too far a drive. You may not be able to even get close to Laurel Lake though. :11:

Yea, I've checked the dive shop site and campground sites in the area. I was hoping for someone who dives the lake for some dive sites and tips. I've been diving ARK. lakes the last few years. Believe me I know cold, even in august those lakes are cold. But I was looking to expand my horizons and like you had heard good things about Dale Hollow. Hate to drive all that distance only to find mud. We have lot of mud here in Texas. lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom