Plans for 12,000 sq. ft. Dive Center Announced.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm one of two owners of DiVentures, so maybe I can help with some information about us.

First of all, apologies about the website. It is, obviously, something we're working on but, to be honest, we're pretty busy. It's a work in progress and we'll get it covered soon.

We both retired from successful business careers at relatively young ages and are avid divers. The concept started in the jungles of Nicaragua, just south of Omaha. We were on a mission trip and, traveling with one another and the gentleman who is now managing overall operations for us, naturally spent some time talking diving. At home, we continued the conversation and now, about a year and a half later, we're breaking ground. As the sites (construction and web) develop, you'll be able to watch our progress and we hope you can be as excited as we are. We already have some great people on staff and have opportunities for others who share our passion for scuba diving and customer service.

We're founded on several pillars and the most obvious, of course, is the focus we've put on the facility. It is comprehensive with a 2200 sq/ft pool that goes from 3.5 to 14 feet in depth, a retail space, classroom, service department, kitchen, offices, locker rooms, etc. It's a unique design that our architects have really worked hard to create with an eye to our desires and a green approach to building. We expect that it will become a destination not only for local divers but for people across the region and around the country. We have a dual focus on safety and fun...this is going to be a fun place to be.

We'll offer a full range of equipment and services (and we already do) as well as a wide range of educational opportunities to include scuba, snorkeling, drown prevention, swimming lessons, first aid, CPR, environmental awareness and much more.

Maybe most importantly, we operate from a stewardship mentality. Our donation to the Omaha Fire Department Water Rescue Team reflects that but we see stewardship as a larger responsibility that we owe to our customers, our community and those within the industry. We'll communicate openly and our goal is to grow the industry, not just this shop. We think that's viable and vital to the success of us all.

As to where we end up in the scuba industry well, that remains to be seen. Right now, our focus is on getting the building up and running (we're already running out of space in our temporary location) and getting the fun going. This will be a fun place to be, we're friendly folks who love to dive, talk about diving and get new people involved in diving. Our families dive and we have some interesting ideas about total family involvement, regardless of ages.

We look forward to meeting many of you and hope you can find the time to visit us. The construction schedule is aggressive and we're planning to open next spring...but we're already up and running a mile north of the new facility.

We're Midwesterners and yes, we're a long way from the coasts...but we're only a couple of short flights away from spectacular diving locations when we're not enjoying the quarries and lakes we can drive to from here.

I hope this helps answer some questions. We'll be happy to talk about what we're doing and are already doing that with a growing number of people.

Let's get wet!

Mark

Mark, good luck with your venture. From bold dreams often come bold outcomes. Welcome to the diving business.

Phil Ellis
www.divesports.com

I'm one of two owners of DiVentures, so maybe I can help with some information about us.

First of all, apologies about the website. It is, obviously, something we're working on but, to be honest, we're pretty busy. It's a work in progress and we'll get it covered soon.

We both retired from successful business careers at relatively young ages and are avid divers. The concept started in the jungles of Nicaragua, just south of Omaha. We were on a mission trip and, traveling with one another and the gentleman who is now managing overall operations for us, naturally spent some time talking diving. At home, we continued the conversation and now, about a year and a half later, we're breaking ground. As the sites (construction and web) develop, you'll be able to watch our progress and we hope you can be as excited as we are. We already have some great people on staff and have opportunities for others who share our passion for scuba diving and customer service.

We're founded on several pillars and the most obvious, of course, is the focus we've put on the facility. It is comprehensive with a 2200 sq/ft pool that goes from 3.5 to 14 feet in depth, a retail space, classroom, service department, kitchen, offices, locker rooms, etc. It's a unique design that our architects have really worked hard to create with an eye to our desires and a green approach to building. We expect that it will become a destination not only for local divers but for people across the region and around the country. We have a dual focus on safety and fun...this is going to be a fun place to be.

We'll offer a full range of equipment and services (and we already do) as well as a wide range of educational opportunities to include scuba, snorkeling, drown prevention, swimming lessons, first aid, CPR, environmental awareness and much more.

Maybe most importantly, we operate from a stewardship mentality. Our donation to the Omaha Fire Department Water Rescue Team reflects that but we see stewardship as a larger responsibility that we owe to our customers, our community and those within the industry. We'll communicate openly and our goal is to grow the industry, not just this shop. We think that's viable and vital to the success of us all.

As to where we end up in the scuba industry well, that remains to be seen. Right now, our focus is on getting the building up and running (we're already running out of space in our temporary location) and getting the fun going. This will be a fun place to be, we're friendly folks who love to dive, talk about diving and get new people involved in diving. Our families dive and we have some interesting ideas about total family involvement, regardless of ages.

We look forward to meeting many of you and hope you can find the time to visit us. The construction schedule is aggressive and we're planning to open next spring...but we're already up and running a mile north of the new facility.

We're Midwesterners and yes, we're a long way from the coasts...but we're only a couple of short flights away from spectacular diving locations when we're not enjoying the quarries and lakes we can drive to from here.

I hope this helps answer some questions. We'll be happy to talk about what we're doing and are already doing that with a growing number of people.

Let's get wet!

Mark

Tridacna,

Maybe this is a fools folley, maybe not. If you look at the business model of Cabella's, also started in NE, and see what they have done over the years you could be surprised. The Cabellas store in Sidney NE was the start of a very profitable business, without a lot of "local" base. While the training may take up a large part of the facility, internet sales could be amazing. If you think that the cost of shipping isn't important, maybe you should research that too. Shipping for most companies is a MAJOR expense. Not sayin your wrong about this being a "white elephant" yet just thinking about different possibilities and sighting a very prosperous business model that has its roots in NE as an example. Lots of people drive many miles to go to Cabellas, maybe they will for this venture as well. It all remains to be seen. I say good luck to them and I may be one that will drive the 7 hrs 1 way just to see what it's like. (Besides that only makes it another 2-3 hours to my daughters house where I could make a visit)

I seriously doubt that they have started this to be an online competitor to anyone else. (I am familiar with Cabelas and use them frequently). These are two guys who made money previously and are doing something that they love. If you can afford to do it, by all means. But you would have a heck of a time raising VC with this plan. It's not like banks are lining up to provide financing to LDSs these days. No matter how big (or remote). The costs of building such a facility are huge. Payback is slow. You really have to have the money to carry you through the first few years.

But if you have deep pockets and love what you do, this is great.

I sometimes wonder if certain people are not directly (although hidden) affiliated with certain companies because of the arguments they create.

You actually "wonder" about that? The number of hidden agendas on the board is only exceeded by the number of people that wonder about it. It's huge.

Back
Top Bottom