Plans for 12,000 sq. ft. Dive Center Announced.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's only a "minor population" if they plan on doing a lot of walk-in business.

If they plan on doing internet orders, that location gives them 3 day ground UPS delivery to almost the entire continental US and Canada anywhere near the US border.

Terry

Why do they need an Aircraft Hangar to operate this internet business? I think that I missed the line about competing with Scubatoys and LP on their website or in the article. I stand corrected if I misread that part. Is that really why they built that giant white elephant? You really think that shipping fees is what separates LP and ST from the rest? That's funny.

diventurefeature.jpg

Was wondering if this would become the largest dive center (in size) in the United States. The store will be built in Omaha, Nebraska - do these guys know something I don't?

Ground breaking set for Huge Dive Center in Nebraska

Scubatoys is expanding to 17,000 square feet (Scuba Toys is Expanding!), so even if it is the largest at some point (not sure if this would be the case or not), probably not for long.

Ooh. Use of big words. Scary scary. Not. Talk about a supercilous tone.

You're "Not about advertising". Why not. You run a great business. Why shouldn't SB get their business. Lord knows they can use everything they can get. Posting a ratty web page is indicative of poor business practice. They should have got that right to start. You should tell them when you're spending massive bucks building a freaking jumbo hangar with multiple pools inside, you should also invest in your web presence.

I hear that they'll be building a tiddleywinks stadium alongside. That should be great too.

Tridacna,

Maybe this is a fools folley, maybe not. If you look at the business model of Cabella's, also started in NE, and see what they have done over the years you could be surprised. The Cabellas store in Sidney NE was the start of a very profitable business, without a lot of "local" base. While the training may take up a large part of the facility, internet sales could be amazing. If you think that the cost of shipping isn't important, maybe you should research that too. Shipping for most companies is a MAJOR expense. Not sayin your wrong about this being a "white elephant" yet just thinking about different possibilities and sighting a very prosperous business model that has its roots in NE as an example. Lots of people drive many miles to go to Cabellas, maybe they will for this venture as well. It all remains to be seen. I say good luck to them and I may be one that will drive the 7 hrs 1 way just to see what it's like. (Besides that only makes it another 2-3 hours to my daughters house where I could make a visit)

Ooh. Use of big words. Scary scary. Not. Talk about a supercilous tone.
Like your facts, the word is made up. It was intended to be humorous and not negative. However, "supercilious" would correctly describe your vendetta against these people. One has to wonder if you have a stake in a competitor? :D (PS: That last statement was more humor... just in case you missed it again.)
You're "Not about advertising".
We obviously see life differently. ScubaBoard the ad business and ScubaBoard the forum are two distinct entities. The former supports the latter. However, both exist to promote diving in a positive light rather than to heap aspersions on those trying to make it work as a business.

It appears that there will be MORE than Scuba done through this shop. Swimming seems to be on the agenda as well. There might be more to it than meets your supercilious eye.

meathead3.jpg
are everywhere....I am getting my :popcorn:. I sometimes wonder if certain people are not directly (although hidden) affiliated with certain companies because of the arguments they create. I say GOOD ON YA to those close enough to enjoy the new shop when it opens.

Why do they need an Aircraft Hangar to operate this internet business? I think that I missed the line about competing with Scubatoys and LP on their website or in the article. I stand corrected if I misread that part. Is that really why they built that giant white elephant? You really think that shipping fees is what separates LP and ST from the rest? That's funny.

Shipping costs are a huge issue for internet companies. Any time you can get 2 or 3 day deliveries for the same price as 7 day ground shipping, it's a real competitive advantage. People like fast and they like cheap. Physical costs are a big deal too. It's a lot less expensive to have a big building in the midwest than a tiny building in NYC. Everything is less expensive. Energy, insurance, land, taxes, employees, housing. This all effects pricing and profits.

Also, although you seem to be very protectionist towards LP and ST, neither has any magic. All it takes to be competitive is money, knowing how to run a business and being nice to customers.

It doesn't take the Amazing Kreskin to see how a well-run company with low shipping costs, fast delivery, low overhead and plenty of room could easily be a big player.

Terry

That will be a very nice facility. And, I bet they have are not doing it because they are going in the online business. In this economy, there are great opportunities for companies to grow, even in the scuba industry. Even though the industry in general is weak now, that doesn't mean the individual locations cannot and are not prospering.

Scuba stores with a very active swimming business often make more revenue on swimming than on scuba. You simply need the right location, the right traffic, and it works especially well in areas where public facilities are heavily burdened and schedules are unsatisfactory.

I say, good luck to them!

Phil Ellis
Discount Scuba Gear at DiveSports.com - Buy Scuba Diving Equipment & Snorkeling Equipment

Also, although you seem to be very protectionist towards LP and ST
Terry

Protectionist? You're kidding. I am TOTALLY PROTECTIONIST. I will defend them with all my might and resources. They mean everything to me. LOL. Wait...aren't you one of their major detractors? Yeah. I forgot. Duh. So Terry, LP and ST got the way they are with great shipping prices? They do free shipping for most of what they have. You forget? I see that rock bottom prices and customer service are irrelevant.

Now for the mega whopper super duper dive center. I still think that this is a lousy business plan. Too remote and too much investment. I really hope that I'm wrong and having said all this, I only wish that they were nearer my house. I would love to have a a facility like this near me. Damn that would be cool. I was in Brussels earlier this year and visited Nemo33. It was unreal.

Protectionist? You're kidding. I am TOTALLY PROTECTIONIST. I will defend them with all my might and resources. They mean everything to me. LOL. Wait...aren't you one of their major detractors? Yeah. I forgot. Duh. So Terry, LP and ST got the way they are with great shipping prices? They do free shipping for most of what they have. You forget? I see that rock bottom prices and customer service are irrelevant.

There is no such thing as "free shipping". The dealer might not charge the customer, but the shipping company absolutely charges the dealer. In fact, cheap shipping helps twice, once when they buy from the distributor and once when they sell.

"Rock bottom prices" are variable depending on the cost of doing business. If the new place has significantly less overhead than ST, they could easily put them out of business. ST has no patent on being nice or cheap. (not that I'm looking for them to go OOB, however competition exists exactly for that purpose).

If the new owners have deep pockets they could do the same to LP by simply offering the same products and services to the customers for less money and offering the manufacturers and distributors a better wholesale price than LP. LP has no lock on their business model either, and for enough cash, any of the manufacturers would drop LP like a hot rock.

It's free enterprise. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Terry

Back
Top Bottom