Plantar Fasciitis 102: Do's and Don'ts Needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phoenix1

Registered
Reaction score
From recent extended walking, I have acquired a nice little case of plantar fasciitis, based on all the classic symptoms. (Yes, I have an appointment with my doctor to confirm.)

I had this once many years ago, and I have boned up on current literature, including this site. I plan a regimen of calf stretching, anti-inflammatories, icing and orthotic inserts.

My dive-related questions have to do with both speedy recovery and equipment use.

I have a dive trip to Grand Cayman in about a month, and another to Bonaire in September. I'd like advice on maximizing my recovery for each. I can probably do mostly boat diving in GCM and will, right heel allowing, do mostly shore diving in BON.

1. For those who have had this or know the answer, what can I do, or do more of, to hasten the long healing process? I seem to recall full recovery the last time took 3 months. I'd like to be in at least tolerable shape for both dive trips.

2. To the same crowd, are there things I should not do, or do less of, that might retard healing?

3. Although I have switched from Caribbean style fins to Apollos with hard-sole booties, I can switch back for my boat diving next month, if necessary. Am I better off with one style versus the other?

I am a fairly fit (but overweight) male, 64. I have my own business and I work out of my house, so I have the privilege of doing lots of things others cannot in an office setting.

Any regimens you can suggest that might speed recovery for these two upcoming trips would be appreciated. (Per the Dive Medicine sticky, I am not asking for medical advice, just suggestions on what seems to work or not work for others.)

Thanks a lot.

I had a bad case for 1.5 years and couldn't run (I am a marathoner). The most important piece of advice is to strech your foor before you set foot on the floor first thing in the morning. When you wake up put the heel of one foot over the toes of the other and pull the toes back to stretch out the bottom of the foot. Repeat on the other foot. Try to never walk barefoot while you have symptoms and ice the area regularly. If you stand still for long periods of time it exacerbates the situation so try to avoid standing and if you do, stretch your calfs and feet while you stand. A good one is to press your foot into a wall and lean forward (it stretches the calfs and the connective tissue on the bottom of the foot).

I tried everything including a painful cortizone shot in the foot and the only thing that worked was stretching BEFORE I got out of bed and icing.

Good luck.

Bob

Thanks for the reply. So far, ice, calf stretching and Aleve have done a remarkable and unexpectedly good job--after only a day or so. I'm not looking for miracles, but improvement over the last 24 hours has been very good (based upon my fuzzy memory of past encounters). Your advice on stretching before getting up seems to help as well. Thank you for the suggestion.

I'm also wearing chef's clogs around the house, and that seems to help my calf exercising. I stood around a bit last night at a fund-raiser (with padded heel inserts in my shoe). After stretching this morning, my gait was nearly normal and the pain has subsided considerably.

I'm still a long way from cured--I seem to remember a plateau and then a very gradual disappearance--but the early signs are encouraging.

I'm do for some pool work in a couple weeks. I'l probably bring both sets of fins to see which seems to feel best.

Dhboner covered it pretty well, to my knowledge: ice, flip-flops instead of bare feet, and stretching of the gastrocnemius muscle. I hesitate to even add this, because I think the science for it is highly dubious, but custom orthotics seemed to work well for me too. What completely solved the problem though, was when I stopped running totally. Now I use the elliptical trainer and swim.

I run. Had one case of PF a few years ago. It resolved in less than a month: no running (I switched temporarily to an elliptical), daily calf stretches (throughout the day), staying off my feet whenever possible, comfortable/supportive shoes (I would *definitely* avoid flip-flops and bare feet), NSAIDs, and I kept my foot taped most waking hours (Plantar Fasciitis Taping).

Good luck!

Night splint, ( a definite must) and anti inflammatories should help tremendously.
Get well !

Night splint, ( a definite must) and anti inflammatories should help tremendously.
Get well !
That helped my daughter a lot, along with discarding all flip flops.

A good firm tennis ball can help also. Run your heel and arch over it for a massage.

All good stuff, guys. The ice and calf stretching seems to really work wonders. I've been in clogs all day, and good results.

Part of my problem was probably boat shoes for casual wear. Because I don't go to a formal office, I don't wear my steel arch captoes as much as might be good for me. Never had flip flops, never will; but boat shoes are probably as bad.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom