Platform for small UW camera and dive light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hemlon

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi, DIY gang!

I am looking to build a small, lightweight platform of some sort onto which I will fasten my small UW camera and my dive light.

I often dive with both in hand. I like to aim the beam of light and then snap the photo. Since this takes two hands, I would like to build something to combine the two items.

My first thought is to use medium-thickness plexiglass to which I would drill holes in order to attach the items. The small light could be attached via zip ties. The camera could be attached via a tripod screw.

The platform would have the added benefit of providing a small amount of negative bouyancy to offset the inherent bouyancy of the camera.

What do you think? Am I way off base with this idea?

I made a strap for my light from an extra large hose clamp (radiator type) with a screw type mount attached to the top of it. (like attaching camera to a tri-pod) And the camera just screws on the top. all one unit. and easy to remove.(less than 10 seconds) And cost about $4 or $5 to make.

Here's the evolution of my tray/arms using 1.25" dia. sink drain pipes.

The pipe joints can be adjusted so the arms can move.

These are for a Sony MPK housing, Oly PT.030 and an Ikelite housing.

Attachments

• Tray:arm evolution.jpg
    Tray:arm evolution.jpg
    404.4 KB · Views: 217
Here's the evolution of my tray/arms using 1.25" dia. sink drain pipes.

The pipe joints can be adjusted so the arms can move.

These are for a Sony MPK housing, Oly PT.030 and an Ikelite housing.

Wow...that's impressive! Good job!

Back
Top Bottom