Playa del Carmen Reef diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paperbagprincess

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi ,I'm headed to Tulum in February to do the Intro to Cave course and dive the cenotes. I will be there for 2 weeks and had wanted to drive to Playa del Carmen for the Bull Shark dives but now it seems most of the sharks have left.
I'm wondering if it's worth it to dive any of the reefs in Playa if the sharks aren't around? What's the condition of the reefs ?

I've dove Cozumel previously and Bonaire recently so I'm trying to decide whether to stick to the cenotes this trip? I don't want to bring my other wetsuit, and single tank equipment if it's not worth it.
Thanks!

We have been diving Puerto Aventuras for the past dozen years or so. Having dived Cozumel for years before that, there is a difference in structure, however we have found the reefs to be very healthy with good fish populations. You might contact Dive Aventuras to see if they meet your needs.

we found the ocean diving is hit and miss. we have had some great dives where we see lots of turtles for example. but over all i think most would not rate the reef diving very high. but if you wanna do something different after spending the better part of a week in the caves, then why not. any diving is better than no diving. haha my recommendation is to contact Matt at Tank Ha. tell him rick and melissa from canada sent you :)

we found the ocean diving is hit and miss. we have had some great dives where we see lots of turtles for example. but over all i think most would not rate the reef diving very high. but if you wanna do something different after spending the better part of a week in the caves, then why not. any diving is better than no diving. haha my recommendation is to contact Matt at Tank Ha. tell him rick and melissa from canada sent you :)

I can second Matt and Tank Ha in Playa. Great guy. Great shop.

Hi ,I'm headed to Tulum in February to do the Intro to Cave course and dive the cenotes. I will be there for 2 weeks and had wanted to drive to Playa del Carmen for the Bull Shark dives but now it seems most of the sharks have left.
I'm wondering if it's worth it to dive any of the reefs in Playa if the sharks aren't around? What's the condition of the reefs ?

I've dove Cozumel previously and Bonaire recently so I'm trying to decide whether to stick to the cenotes this trip? I don't want to bring my other wetsuit, and single tank equipment if it's not worth it.
Thanks!
If you have a car, drive down to Xcalak and dive with XTC. Or go to Mahahual and do Banco Chinchorro.

IMO, diving PDC, apart from the bull shark dives, is really boring and a waste of time/money.

XTC Dive Center

XTC Dive Center in Xcalak Mexico - Scuba Diving, Snorkelling, Day Trips

Amigos del Mar Mahahual | Mahahual Diving

Be a shame to spend time on the Yucatan mainland and not see ruins or wildlife. I’d take Coba or the Xcaret evening cultural show, or any number of other fun excursions, over packing extra dive equipment for a couple of ho-hum reef dives. Yes, stick to the cenotes.

I would stick with the cenotes, you can dive better reefs anywhere but you can only dive the cenotes in the Mayan. I have never done an ocean dive from the mainland in over 9 years, just cenotes. I highly recommend you contact Nicolas from CenoteXperience. I have been diving with Nico & Martin for over 9 years. They are great guys and excellent dive guides. Tell Nico that Steve from Canada sent you. CenoteXperience - Cavern, Cave and Ocean Diving in Playa del Carmen Yucatan Mexico - Home

Thanks everyone for feedback and confirming that I won't be missing out on spectacular diving on the mainland I think we'll stick to the cenotes after our course, and not worry about packing thinner wetsuits and single tank equipment.

Mahahual and Xcalak look really interesting but maybe a bit far for a day trip of diving will definitely check them out next time when I haven't already booked our AirBnb in Tulum.
I do agree the people at Tank-ha diving seem super nice and reasonably priced I'd been emailing them about the Bull Shark trip, unfortunately no sharks are there.

I've been to Tulum previously and really liked Coba, Chitchten Itza and Ek Balam. We might check out Sian K'aan more this trip when my ears need a day off from diving.
Thanks very much!

Mahahual is really good, only time in my entire life I’ve encountered a wild pod of dolphins. Amazing experience. Catherine with Gypsy divers is who we use/recommend there. Really far from Tulum; we made its own separate week out of it.

Xcaret was a great day, we loved it.

Pro-Tec is who we use for cenote‘s and do recommend them as well. They offer full cave, rebreather’s and everything in between. A+ op. Tajma-Ha, the pit and many other great sites to visit.

PDC diving is not the same quality as Coz but is still fun/good. Moc-Che (both deep and shallow) are decent sites.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom