Rental equipment in Playa del Carmen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sparragus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I’m planning to go to Playa on late September for training. I’ll be diving cenotes and I want to rent a 5mm wetsuit for about 4 days. Specifically, I need a wetsuit that has pockets on each side.

Do you know of a shop that’d do the rental?

Thanks

I think your chances of finding a wetsuit with pockets are slim to none. I'd pick up a pair of neoprene pocket shorts before you leave.

Just curious why you "need" pockets? Are you taking a Cavern diving course? Do you use a 3mm suit with pockets at home and just can't see yourself diving without pockets?

Anyway ... what @rongoodman said. That's what I did for my Cavern diving course.

I think your chances of finding a wetsuit with pockets are slim to none. I'd pick up a pair of neoprene pocket shorts before you leave.

Makes sense. Then what about renting any 5mm wetsuit (without pockets)?

Just curious why you "need" pockets? Are you taking a Cavern diving course? Do you use a 3mm suit with pockets at home and just can't see yourself diving without pockets?

Anyway ... what @rongoodman said. That's what I did for my Cavern diving course.

I’m doing GUE Fundies and it’s required.

I’m doing GUE Fundies and it’s required.
Aha. Yes, buy the pocket shorts. As for the suit itself, have you asked your instructor about such rental gear? Even if the instructor doesn't work with a shop that rents wetsuits, the instructor might know of a shop that does. A 5mm is indeed a good idea for the cenotes, as you will be spending a lot of time in the water--ha ha.

Aha. Yes, buy the pocket shorts. As for the suit itself, have you asked your instructor about such rental gear? Even if the instructor doesn't work with a shop that rents wetsuits, the instructor might know of a shop that does. A 5mm is indeed a good idea for the cenotes, as you will be spending a lot of time in the water--ha ha.

Of course. I don’t know why I went straight to SB instead of asking the instructor.

Thanks for your suggestion!

Of course. I don’t know why I went straight to SB instead of asking the instructor.

Thanks for your suggestion!
No problem. SB is the first resource that comes to mind when I have any question about anything in life. 🤣

The instructor already replied confirming that the shop where the class is taught rents the wetsuits. So problem solved :)

I wore a hooded vest under my 5mm when I did my cave classes there. The water is cool and you’re likely to be in it for long times.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom