Playa Del Carmen sharks killed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, it's Saturday, and it's been a flurry of activity here in PDC and all over the interwebs. First - THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU to everyone who signed the petition and passed it on. Right now, there 477 signatures, from every corner of the globe.

Please keep talking and sharing - "Like" us on Facebook! That's today's version of "and she told two friends, and she told two friends, and so on..."

Now, here's what you can do next. The loudest voice to the local authorities is that of the local business community. A meeting has been arranged by APSA - the Riviera Maya Association of Dive and Water Sport Operators - for next Tuesday at City Hall. The meeting is for dive shop owners. APSA will be visiting local businesses beforehand, but it's pretty short lead time.

So, what can you do? Well, if you have a favorite dive op here in the Riviera Maya, send them the message that you, who's dollars are spent every year here, think that something needs to be done. Point them to APSA and to the Blueheart website.

That's my rambling for Saturday - keep up the good fight!

Here's the resources again:

Facebook - Blue Heart Society | Facebook
Website - www.blueheartsociety.org
Petition - Riviera Maya - Help Save our Marine Ecosystem Petition

Brought this thread up again because I'm going to PDC in February. Just wondering what the bullshark dive situation is now...and what op to book with.

though killing the sharks is bad for tourism..... it is really BAD for sharks and what they do for the environment. Sharks are basically the "garbage men" of the sea, cleaning up the dead fish and such. We need them there just like you need your regular trash pickup at your house each day. Just think about it that way. Decreasing the numbers of sharks in the ocean will affect the whole ECO SYSTEM. We need sharks, but not necessarily as a tourist attraction.

robin:D

Brought this thread up again because I'm going to PDC in February. Just wondering what the bullshark dive situation is now...and what op to book with.

Go with an operator that is against shark feeding, many are and only a couple actively feed the sharks.

A good tact would be to ask them if they do shark feeding trips, if they say yes, go somewhere else.

Unfortunately the bull shark situation isn't any better, there was a sighting of a finless carcass two weeks ago shortly before that the ops reported that the new group that they had been enticing up with their feeding programmes had disappeared. There was some unconfirmed reports of a local man with some carcasses, not sure what the current situation is.

In the interest of the sharks, it's a good idea not to participate in this process at all, because it seems that the ops aren't gonna stop feeding them anytime soon.

On another note, Gordon Ramsay, a UK celeb chef has a programme on TV in which he attempts to oust the Costa Rica shark finning industry. Ramsay held at gunpoint | TV | Entertainment | Toronto Sun

The rumor right now is that about 15-20 sharks have been finned. We are seeing 1 or 2 down south at Tortugas once in a while, but as far as the regular shark dive site, there are no sharks there. If someone or a group of fisherman really did fin that many sharks, I don't think we will be seeing them for a long time. This is horrible if it is actually true. There is no other reason that the sharks would not be here.

The rumor right now is that about 15-20 sharks have been finned. We are seeing 1 or 2 down south at Tortugas once in a while, but as far as the regular shark dive site, there are no sharks there. If someone or a group of fisherman really did fin that many sharks, I don't think we will be seeing them for a long time. This is horrible if it is actually true. There is no other reason that the sharks would not be here.

Could you please post here again if the situation changes. I would still like to do the dive..with an op that doesn't feed them of course.
thanks for the info Geofish.

I did the shark dive the week of thanksgiving with Phantom Divers, and there were a dozen+ sharks (at the 'shark site'). While I will try to stay away from the topic of right or wrong from feeding, I will say that Phantom does feed the sharks and the bulls were extremely calm while swimming around and taking the bait. There was no frenzy of any sort, it was a very surreal experience and one that I'd absolutely LOVE to do again. The dive was conducted by "Chino," the guy who started the shark dives in PDC, and he was a real class act! deffinately a pleasure to dive with and very knowledgable and personable. It was only me, him, and his assistant, Charlie (another GREAT guy!), who did the dive that day, and like I said, it was just unbelievable!

It's very sad to hear Geofish's more recent report though. Hopefully the fisherman will soon get more sense in their heads and stop this slaughter!

Geofish, I don't think its a good idea for you to post where you are seeing the sharks at. The murderers will go there for the kill. Perhaps you should edit your post and remove the name of the reef.

Back
Top Bottom