Please help me find a new "Non-Suunto" Air Integrated Dive Computer...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Codeman00

Contributor
Reaction score
I am just back from diving in Belize and have decided that I need a new "Non-Suunto" Dive Computer. Don't get me wrong, I love the Suunto Cobra 2 functionality, but I'm absolutely tired of being the only one in the dive group at 20 feet watching over the rest of my dive group enjoying the last 15 minutes of the dive. I've posted about this issue and I've realized it doesn't matter how careful I am at ascent rates, etc....the Suunto's conservative nature really limits my dive time on trips. It ended several of my 2nd dives early this week while my wife just waved at me from below with our Oceanic computer. On my last dive, I made sure I stayed above the group the entire dive and once my computer hit deco, my wife's computer said 17 minutes left! I just decided to go into "Suunto pseudo deco" and enjoy the rest of my dive.

Anyway, I need a new computer with the following characteristics....

Air Integrated
Not a Suunto
Nitrox capable
Console mounted
Ability to add a manual compass
It doesn't have to be a brand new one, I might save some money by looking around for a 2011 model.

Thanks!

You know that the suunto computers have a setting that you can change to make them more/less conservative, right?

R..

uwatec has air integrated, wireless, and great wrist units that are more liberal than suunto's...if you want lots of water time, consider Cochran. my emc-20h blows all recreational computers out of the water. its a wrist unit, so I use an spg, and it's upgradeable.good luck.--c

Do you feel good after following the advice of your Suunto?

If the answer is yes, (just to put this into perspective) what you're embarking on is a search for more and more liberal computers that will culminate in one that makes you feel bad. Hopefully not bad enough for a chamber ride.

...For certain profiles, Suuntos are indeed more conservative; on the whole, however, they're pretty midline. Every computer has a profile that it gets upset over.

All the best, James

I also dive with an Oceanic computer and never find myself out of sync with the group. Seems to me that is also the case with your wife (my assumption). Why would you not be automatically choosing a Oceanic AI unit so that you would be diving software and algorithms that are in sync with what your wife dives? That seems to me to be the best way forward for you. But that is just my opinion.

Sherwood Wisdom 2? I loved mine. Except that I no longer wanted air integrated.

I can understand your feelings about Suunto. I have a never-used Sunnto Vytec sitting right next to me. I don't use it precisely because of the conservative reputation it has. I'm too lazy to figure out what to do with it :)

Also, the transmitter for this never-used Vytec doesn't work. I called Suunto support in the US (Aqualung), and was underwhelmed with the response: I have to buy a new one. I'm staying away from Suunto products.

Not console mounted but the Galileo's are great with a fantastic compass built in.

I don't know about all of them, but our Gekkos and Vypers start on their least conservative setting by default, such as it is. You can change the setting but only to make it more conservative.
You know that the suunto computers have a setting that you can change to make them more/less conservative, right?

R..

Sounds like your diving air, I'd switch. To nitrox and set the computer for it. I do not. Have an air integrated computer, but the scuba pro meridian uses the same algorithm as the tec 3G, which is not that conservative and can be set to +\- from there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom