Please help my wife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverrick:
Sounds like the majority of posters prefer splits over standard blades.
For me and my wife, we have tried both, and we prefer standard blades. I use either Volo Powers or Aqualung Blade 2's, depending on my mood that day. My wife uses regular Volos, and likes them a lot, since they don't make her ankles hurt.

BigJetDriver69:
Rick,

Unless your wife is used to doing the cave (frog) kick all of the time, is a photographer, or you are diving a lot in high current, a good quality pair of splits (Apollo, etc.) would work very well for her.

Cheers!

Rob

Not true on your "limitations"....I spent 30+ years in jet fins. I, pretty much, only frog kick. I am a photographer and spend much time in raging currents in PNG. Guess what? I use twin speed split fins and love them. I beat people into currents, I frog kick with the best, and can make fine movements for my pics. I will not go back to my jet fins.
So there!

MARES PLANTI AVANTI SCUBA FINS.

I am looking also and would be interested in hearing your thoughts. Lord knows I really do not want soar knees or ankles. :wink:

Thanks

Roving

diverrick, has your wife found fins yet? Your original post sounds like you wrote it about me. My fins are about 20 years old and I also lagged behind others because they truly are not dive fins. I also got terrible leg and foot cramps because of these older fins. I tried my husbands Tusa split fins and I had a much easier time but I am still reluctant to purchase. We will be going on a dive trip over Christmas so I need to buy new fins soon. Please post an update, I'm curious.

Rovendiver:
MARES PLANTI AVANTI SCUBA FINS.

I am looking also and would be interested in hearing your thoughts. Lord knows I really do not want soar knees or ankles. :wink:

Thanks

Roving

Rovendiver,
You'll find the Plana Avanti's much stiffer and more difficult to kick with than any of the fins mentioned in this thread so far.

The splits (X-Pert Zoom etc) and the hinged style (Volo) are designed to deliver the same propulsion with less effort, with some tradeoff IMHO in power.

If your knees need TLC, I would recommend you stay away from the Plana Avanti fins.

If your ankles are sore, you need to work on your finning technique. Proper fin kicking requires you to kick from the hips, instead of using your ankles.

:)

Another vote for the Velocity Fins!

Scubamax

Volo fins may be the way to go for me. I wish we had a place to try the fins prior to purchasing but we have not found one.

Roving

My wife and I have the scuba pro twin jet split fins and love them. I'm sure I'll get flack about this but we bought them off leisurepro.com for a very reasonable price. I won't buy what I consider life dependent equipment from them but fins, masks, snorkels are OK in my opinion. Good luck finding what you like. I think there are probably a lot that she would do well with. Just look around and see what feels best to her.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom