please respect restricted areas ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NWGratefulDiver once bubbled...

Jeff, I reported something that happened ... it's been verified as fact. Andrew was inside a restricted area. He knows this cove, having taught in it for many years. He knows the area he was in is restricted. He also knows that there's a tension dynamic between divers, fishermen, residents, and water taxi advocates ... and divers are on the lowest rung of that dynamic. He had no reason to be in there, however "brief" that incursion may have been. Call it what you will ... those are the facts.
You have every right to call him out on this, I just question using scubaboard to do it. In the void of information...thats where assumptions get made. Like I said, UP's answers...answered the unspoken questions.

Wrong again bub ... I NEVER said any such thing. I said that DIR-F classes ... like all other scuba classes ... are in the business of selling gear. That, my friend, is a simple statement about the business model employed by every dive certification agency, including GUE. I never once said it was a marketing gimmick for Halcyon ... that was your ASSumption ... and an incorrect one at that.

In the thread http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31232
You had comments like the following
JeffG ... you claim the link between DIR and Halcyon doesn't exist? Ever heard of Jarrod Jablonski? He's the President of GUE ... that's the agency that trains DIR divers, ain't it? He's also the CEO and co-founder of Halcyon. Those facts are indisputable, and easily verified with the simplest search on the man's name. So how can you say the connection doesn't exist? If I chose to dig a bit deeper, I'll bet I could find other financial connections as well (wanna bet Andrew G owns a piece of Halcyon?) ... either way, I stand by what I said.

I'm not very anti-DIR either. I dive with a lot of DIR folks ... did so just tonight, in fact. We respect each other. So stop trying to make this an agency issue.
That was not the intent, but when the opening post (from a not so pro or anti DIR advocate) points directly at the DIR community it kinda has a life of its own.

Note: In hind-site if the post said "Hey AG...try not to have you classes in the restricted areas ....etc etc" it wouldn't have the some connotations.

Jeff

dborden once bubbled...
Is there any way we can block people like JeffG from the pacnw forum???

Well....either
a) Put me on your Ignore list
b) Ask UP to have me banned
c) Blow it out your a$$

Your Choice

Hello Boys...

Have you ever considering spending more time in the water... looking for an alternative dive site to the one that has caused all this controversy... and a little less time online being rude to one another???

just a thought....

NavyDoll

:scuba:

NavyDoll once bubbled...
Hello Boys...

Have you ever considering spending more time in the water... looking for an alternative dive site to the one that has caused all this controversy... and a little less time online being rude to one another???

just a thought....

NavyDoll

Every waking moment, but my world is now frozen and I won't get to Victoria until next year.

But NWGratefulDiver work on keeping the dive site open is a good thing (and he should be applauded), To me it would of made more sense to go directly to the source instead posting on Scubaboard...but there is "history" behind the initial post, that was not in the initial post .

NavyDoll once bubbled...
Have you ever considering spending more time in the water...
... when he is out of the water (which like the tide is regular but only temporary and in his case the cycle is much more frequent) because of the barnacles and anenomes that have taken up residence on him. There is a rumor that clams have found homes as well.

That said... there are quite a few dives sites in the area but if you have never seen the Seattle skyline at night from the water it would be hard for you to understand. That coupled with easy access to a site filed with all manner of sea creatures, that is safe for the BOW and still provides adequate depth for the tech wannabe... well, Seacrest if lost to the diving public because of the transgression of a few would really be a loss.

NavyDoll once bubbled...
Hello Boys...

just a thought....

NavyDoll

Alki is very well suited to that use, and well sited for use by the shop mentioned. The original poster has a valid point and it was, IMO, posted in a very appropriate forum.

There is only one person being rude, but we all have items we get anal retentive about.

MD

LOL ... I've already got two dives in today (at the site in question), and am heading out in about an hour for a night dive. So no worries that I'm not getting enough bottom time ... :D

While at Seacrest today I spoke to a few folks who were there. Although no one was particularly aggrieved by it, the fishing regulars did acknowledge that they saw divers in the restricted zone ... and the woman who runs the restaurant said she'd heard about it from customers. So it didn't go unnoticed.

I also spoke to one of Fifth D's instructors who happened to be there today. He said he understands my concerns, has no problems with either what I said or how I said it.

On the other hand, there's this fellow who lives halfway across the continent, in another country ... well, ya just can't please everyone I guess.

... Bob

The boundry rope around the restricted area is great, thanks for the much appreciated work on this Bob.The boundry is obvious, well marked and posted, there is no reason to cross it.
This is a site that I would hate to loose on account of the boundry being ignored. It can be dived when most others can't due to currents and other factors. It would be a real bummer, and a waist of a lot of peoples time that worked so hard to make it what it is.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom