pneumatic vs band guns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can vary the stretch length of the bands (of course this is done before getting in the water), but once in the water, I can choose how many bands I load on my spear shaft... short range hole-hunting (maybe one or two bands) or longer range open water hunting (four or five bands).
:shocked2: I kinda thought even three bands was unusual except for the biggest guns. That does give a lot of variability in power. How noticeable is going from three to four to five bands?

With five bands you dont have to clean the fish once you shoot them.

I've used a Mares Mini pneumatic for the past three years and love it. But, two days ago, I lost the shaft to a fish in a small swimthrough and had to cut the line. I tried for 15 minutes to wiggle the shaft and fish out, but no go. So, for the last two days, I've been using one of my husband's band guns. The biggest difference for me is that it is so much easier and quicker for me to load my pneumatic gun, plus I can keep an eye on the fish I just missed.

On the other hand, I got my first lobster today using the band gun. :)

I have ordered another shaft for the mini and a new, larger Mares pneumatic gun.

Interesting... I had no idea that was legal there.

I started hunting with a band gun about 40 yrs ago, and converted to pneumatic about 5 yrs ago. The biggest difference between the two, and the reason band guns are still as popular as they are is that anyone with basic hand tools and and even the most crude of materials can produce a band gun that will take fish. It's like the difference between a bow n arrows and a sniper rifle! If advanced mechanics and technology scares and baffles you, you should probably stick with a "cave man" gun, LOL!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom