PNWUPS Meeting Schedule

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

danclem

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
For those of you interested in photography, below is a meeting schedule for the Pacific Northwest Underwater Photographic group, along with topics through October, meeting locations, and the July macro shoot-out at the Keystone Jetty in July.

June 14 Meeting
The central topic of the June 14 meeting is Sharpening, and why this is such a key process in digital photography. Whether you are a point and shoot or DSLR photographer, Sharpening should be an integral step in your work flow. Join us for an informative discussion of what Sharpening is, and how you can use it to improve your photo composition.

We will also have the standard Photo Comment & Review and Dive/Travel Up-dates.

Photo Review
If you have a photo you would like reviewed or commented on, please feel free to either bring an approximately 8 by 10 sized print to the meeting, or e-mail a medium format JPG that is approximately 800 by 600 in size to PNWUPS Photo Review. Please limit to three per meeting.

Macro Shoot-Out
Don't forget that we will be getting together Saturday afternoon, July 18, at the Keystone Jetty for a macro-photography shoot-out and barbeque. The August 9 regular meeting will be devoted to a review of photos and a discussion of how we might be able to improve our macro photography.

Meeting Logistics
PNWUPS meetings are held 2:00 PM, the second Sunday of each month, in the banquet room at Sean O'Donnells Restaurant, 122 128th St SE, Everett 98208, 425.338.5700. The location is half a block east of I-5 on the 128th Exit. Click the Directions Link for a map. If you have any questions, feel free to call 425.418.8755.

Meeting Calendar
Below is a meeting calendar with up-coming topics for the next few months.

Date/Topic

June 14 (Sunday) 2:00 PM
Photo Composition: Sharpening, Plus
Photo Comment & Review
Dive & Travel Reports

July 12 (Sunday) 2:00 PM
Presenting Photos & Matting, Plus
Photo Comment & Review
Dive & Travel Reports

July 18 (Saturday) 3:00 PM
Keystone Jetty: Digital Macro Shoot-Out
Meet at the Keyston Jetty around 3:00 PM for a 4:15 PM or so splash down. Should be good tides!

August 9 (Sunday) 2:00 PM
Keystone Picture Review and Comments, Plus
Photo Comment & Review
Dive & Travel Reports

September 12 (Sunday) 2:00 PM
Digital Photography Work Flow, Plus
Photo Comment & Review
Dive & Travel Reports

October 11 (Sunday)
2:00 PM Equipment Maintenance & Insurance, Plus
Photo Comment & Review
Dive & Travel Reports

I just attended the June meeting, so I figured that I'd give this thread a bump.
I had a great time and Pat's sharpening demo was very helpful, as I'm trying to make the switch to shooting raw.
It was great to meet more experienced UW photographers and see some of the beautiful new (to me) diving spots.
Thanks very much to all who attended & contributed. Thanks for organizing this, Dan.
-Greg

Good meeting everyone at the meeting! Greg you were shooting with the oly 5050?

I'm always ready to learn more tips. I'll be attending more meetings! More speaking on actual photo techniques getting better photos with the camera while in the water, verses driving software after the fact would be great for all photographer divers both new and experienced.

I liked the mix of people, some photo newbies, some intermediate, and some pro-experienced. Everyone had great karma and enthusiams.

See my sig line for my equipment, nothing fancy but it works for me.

Yeah, I'm the guy with the 5050. Gotta get myself an external strobe at some point.
I have to admit that I can use a few digital darkroom tricks (mostly just linear level adjusts), but the sharpening methods discussed seem to be quite helpful on some of my recent RAW images. I have a feeling that normal pictures taken in JPG mode get a bit of sharpening in the camera that doesn't occur in RAW mode.
I find the digital image processing tips quite helpful (though it would probably help if I sunk the money on Adobe CS - right now, I'm using a freeware RAW converter and the open source GIMP software.
-Greg

Good meeting everyone! We just need the viz to improve a bit so we can go out and take pictures!

Cheers,

Dan

Viz? What's that? grins..........

We splashed in front of Mikes Dive Resort on Hood Canal over this last weekend. First day was great, 20-25 foot viz, next day it was down to 10-15. Sigh. GREAT resort and beach front cabins. Wish I would of had a camera wet the first day.....

Can anyone ID this ribbon eel? Found them in the shallows, 20-25 foot deep and they were about 6-8 inches long.

This was the first dives with my Ikelite DS-125 strobe in our local cold waters. it's GREAT to throw some light at your subject. My Oly SP-350 was the image grabber.

See you all at Keystone for the macro field trip next month. I just ordered a wet mount 165 degree wide angle fish eye wet mount lens that I can't WAIT to play with in our local waters......it's GREAT to get really Really REALLY close to your subject.

We may even stay overnight at the State park next to the ferry and jetty in our camper if anyone else wants to make it a multiple day dive and BBQ-fest.

Splash often, shoot mucho many photos.

Attachments

• P6190085a.jpg
    P6190085a.jpg
    457.1 KB · Views: 31
  • P6190091a.jpg
    P6190091a.jpg
    422.8 KB · Views: 33
  • P6190069a.jpg
    P6190069a.jpg
    438.2 KB · Views: 25
Rocky,

That looks like a gunnel to me. The closest match that I could find in my fish book was a crescent gunnel. The description that I see, they tend to be skittish around divers and prefer to come out at night.

Thanks Greg for looking it up........skittish? nah, these guys didn't mind us up close or stuffing a strobe in his face.

So, ROLE CALL, who else is going to Keystone? Potluck for the BBQ event?

It's on my calender and my new fish eye lens is going to be there.

Back
Top Bottom