Po2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

IMO, it is the diver of course who needs to decide what type of dive they are ready for. However the decision needs to be made with an honest evaluation of ones skills in relation to the dive plan. IMO, this is often not the case. Too often the new diver just follows the DM (or someone else). What kind of thought do you suppose goes into gas management on dives like this. Most divers I talk to about the "trust me" dives they do reveal that they are in fact almost totally dependant on the dive leader to get them home. There are of course many possible ways of defining what a NEW diver is but in this case I think it is safe to say that a diver who must ask what gas is suitable for a given dive is certainly new. A question I often ask of divers after I hear of their dive is "did they leave the bottom with each diver having enough gas left to get both divers safely to the surface". The answer is almost always that they have no idea. This is a sure sign that they were not prepared for the dive.

Mike, I totally agree with you here. My frustration is when someone says "A NEW DIVER" shouldn't do this or that. Unfortunately, there are those out there who feel that that means they can because they've been certified for X number of years. For those that have a need to ask for permission, or seek approval, a statement like that just seems like a green light.

I've read many of your previous posts, and I see that you seem to be both a very conscientious diver and instructor and those under your tutelage are privileged indeed.

I personally have a problem with the current system of rating divers as NEW, BOW, AOW, Master Diver, etc. because there is no standard level of real skills attached to those titles. And it's just that when I read your post saying a NEW DIVER has no business being there, it set me off, because an unskilled Old Fart who's been diving for 15 years has no business there either. It's experience and skill, not just NEW or not that should be stressed.

Sorry, didn't mean to take my frustrations out on you. Guess I'm just having a bad day.

Thanks for putting your clarification in such clear terms. Respectfully, all I wanted was for you to put it in print, so the NEW divers will clearly understand. :wink:

Let's hope this guy is not a troll...... well, ok, let's hope that he IS!

I cut my mix to 30% when I'm doing spearfixhing at 110', just to back off the PO2 a bit. The difference in bottom time is immaterial between 30% and 32% in terms of my actual allowed runtime, and yet the safety margin is improved significantly in terms of the risk of a CNS hit.

My personal 32% limit is right at 100'; I stay well under 1.4 PO2. But then again I'm usualy "working" on my dives - or at least I might be if I manage to shoot something worthwhile! :)

You've been trolled and rolled!!!!!
:D :D

the first post stated PO2 of 1.6 @ 125-130' using EaNx 32.

worst case say 5atm so PO2 is .32x5 = 1.6.

but the question 'should i use air' might be a troll.

but in case it isn't ...

NarcT - i personally wouldn't dive with PO2 1.6 - risk of Oxygen Toxicity being one reason that comes to mind.

since discovering recently that i can feel the onset of narcosis at ~80', i wouldn't do air at that depth either. but that's me.

Wow, you guys are brutal. Yes, I took the advanced diver and the Nitrox courses.

I was asking because I thought I would try to tap into your "knowledge" base. My mistake!!! The people I'm diving with have been diving for 30 + years and go to 170 - 200 feet on air all the time. They also run PO2's of 2.0 and have no problems. We also ship whole bottles of helium to Truk for our trips.

Would I advise others to do this...no. But I think your answers to me like "d00d you take a nitrox class..burp" is not appropriate.

You guys keep typing stupid answers to questions on this board. Me, I'm going diving:)

This was not a troll, it was a litmus test. Which 90% of you failed.

Thanks for the laughs tho:D

PS And yes, I'm going to 130 ft on EAN 32, and no I'm not going to jump off a building without my chute:D

narcT once bubbled...
Wow, you guys are brutal. Yes, I took the advanced diver and the Nitrox courses.

I was asking because I thought I would try to tap into your "knowledge" base. My mistake!!! The people I'm diving with have been diving for 30 + years and go to 170 - 200 feet on air all the time. They also run PO2's of 2.0 and have no problems. We also ship whole bottles of helium to Truk for our trips.

Would I advise others to do this...no. But I think your answers to me like "d00d you take a nitrox class..burp" is not appropriate.

You guys keep typing stupid answers to questions on this board. Me, I'm going diving:)

This was not a troll, it was a litmus test. Which 90% of you failed.

Thanks for the laughs tho:D

PS And yes, I'm going to 130 ft on EAN 32, and no I'm not going to jump off a building without my chute:D
I especially like the part of being certified for just over a year and slipping into talk about shipping He to Truk.

By the way, if you folks are shipping He to Truk, and diving air to 200', what are you using the He for? Ballon animals? Donald Duck talk?

Donald duck talk? You got it mon, need something to do around the camp fire at night...burp~~~. Didn't think about the ballon animals. I'll take the ballons next time,good idea!!!

Thanks for the tip d00d, burp~~~.

Gotta run, have to find a nitrox class to take ROTFLMFAO:D

You guys are all right:D

Didn't mean to hurt your feelings.

I think we all thought you were yanking our chain.....sorry, I guess you were yanking our chain.

See ya!

Yes, it was a litmus test.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom