Pockets on Drysuits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

made4water

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
This might not be the right place to post this ques. but i wanted to get the cave divers opinion. What are everyones opinions on pockets and placement on drysuits? Are they good to have or not?

well it up to you but they are nice to store your wet notes. Also your back up tables
I keep 2 jump spolls in mine and one extra back up light :wink:

I couldn't imagine caving without them. Spools, backup mask, wetnotes, arrows/cookies, a few other items. Absolutely indispensible. I put mne on my outside thighs. There is where I've seen most cavers place them. The bottom of my pockets is placed just a bit lower than my hands reach with my arms at my sides. This has worked out very nicely for me. Some like them just a bit higher. Any lower and the pocket would be at my knees and it would be quite awkward.

Best of luck.

I have 2 of the same pockets. You don't have to do it that way, I just didn't want to have to do it "twice".

They come in different sizes too, so you'll have to decide what you like in that regard as well. Larger means larger in lenght and width but also usually means they bellow out more, so figure out what you want to carry before deciding on the size.

The choices continue as you can send them off to be stitched on, or if you are like me and do not want anyone poking holes in your leak feee drysuit, you can glue them on with Aquaseal (mask around the pocket with duct tape to keep it neat).

An advantage to stitching is that you can then create what amounts to an inner pocket for wet notes, dive tables, etc. You can do much the same thing with Aquaseal by running a strip of glue around the sides and bottom of the pocket leaving the center glue free. I also like to leave a small opening at the bottom for drainage.

You do not want to spread glue under the whole pocket. It is technically more secure, but just doing the edges is more than secure enough already and if you do the whole pocket, the area under the pocket gets very stiff and the loss of flexibility creates other stresses and problems.

Pockets are a good tool to have and use. If you could get them placed then have them placed on the side or outside of the thigh where you can best access them.

Pockets on drysuits?

For some reason I couldn't help reading the subject line of this post in Julie Andrews voice!

sound_music.jpg

Pockets on drysuits and whiskers on kittens
Tank valves and S-drills and warm neoprene mittens
Blue H's on webbing, steel backplates with wings
These are a few of my favorite things!

Bright shiny bolt snaps on seven-foot hoses
Black colored mask skirts with purge-valveless noses
Argon and trimix and jet fins with springs

Frog kicks and fundies and J.J. and GUE
Wetnotes and slap straps and a surface marker buoy
Light heads and scooters clipped off on D-rings

When my job bites
When my wife complains
When I'm feeling sad
I simply remember my favorite things
And then I don't feel so bad!

Do you think Fraulein Maria was DIR?

Great takeoff! Thanks for putting that up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom