Pockets on Drysuits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For some reason I couldn't help reading the subject line of this post in Julie Andrews voice!

sound_music.jpg

Pockets on drysuits and whiskers on kittens
Tank valves and S-drills and warm neoprene mittens
Blue H's on webbing, steel backplates with wings
These are a few of my favorite things!

Bright shiny bolt snaps on seven-foot hoses
Black colored mask skirts with purge-valveless noses
Argon and trimix and jet fins with springs

Frog kicks and fundies and J.J. and GUE
Wetnotes and slap straps and a surface marker buoy
Light heads and scooters clipped off on D-rings

When my job bites
When my wife complains
When I'm feeling sad
I simply remember my favorite things
And then I don't feel so bad!

Do you think Fraulein Maria was DIR?

Now thats funny!! :rofl3:

I don't even think most people would think it, actually. It doesn't mean it wasn't hilarious, but no, I certainly would not have gone there.

To the OP, consider larger pockets if you ever plan on wearing gloves...seeing as it is a drysuit, I would assume the answer is yes, you would wear gloves, but whaddoIknow. The small "wetnotes" pocket originally endorsed by WKPP has been re-thunk lately, and a lot of people prefer two bellows pockets. I don't like zippers personally, since I tend to break them.

Tom

zippers are hard to zip in heavy gloves - if you are zipper challenged, put a bungee on the pull to make it more glove friendly.

Velcro pockets are IMHO a better way to go, especially when everything in them is clippped to one or more bungee loops.

zippers are hard to zip in heavy gloves - if you are zipper challenged, put a bungee on the pull to make it more glove friendly.

Velcro pockets are IMHO a better way to go, especially when everything in them is clippped to one or more bungee loops.

I think the velcro pockets are HARDER with gloves on. With very little tactile sensation I find it's much more challenging to tell whether the pocket is closed or not.

I think the velcro pockets are HARDER with gloves on. With very little tactile sensation I find it's much more challenging to tell whether the pocket is closed or not.

Problem with zippers is that they fail closed rather than velcro which fails open ...
so velcro for me.

Problem with zippers is that they fail closed...
Never had a drysuit pocket zipper fail, but almost every zipper I've ever had fail in my life has failed while "open" rather than zipped shut.

i have 2 poctets on my dry suit , and i would never go back to velcro . always loosing things . Zippers all the way but it a personal choice . but go for the pockets .

great post by the clasic fairy lover

Never had a drysuit pocket zipper fail, but almost every zipper I've ever had fail in my life has failed while "open" rather than zipped shut.

Well, I am not telling you (or anyone else that doesn't dive with me :) how to do it.
I'd rather the velcro stop sticking than get sand in my zipper on a "failed" beach entry and then have to knife my pockets open when some other emergency has occurred.

If you clip everything into the pockets with double-enders and bungee, you dont lose much even if they come open

But it can fail zipped shut... and that's the problem.

The only real reason the pocket is there is to keep everything from dangling and becoming entanglement/snag hazards. So, if the velcro doen't close it's not too critical as everything is clipped off and shoved in. But it's unlikely considering the size of the velcro pads on pockets. They are huge and it would be hard not to close them.

Just my thoughts.

Chris

I have a zippered pocket on one side of my drysuit and velcro on the other. I tend to use the velcro pocket most often because of ease of use. Each of my pockets has a d-ring attached on the inside. I clip various items to the d-ring so I don't lose them either while accesing the pocket or just in case the pocket is left open, or the zipper of velcro fails.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom