Point Lobos Dive Shops?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SFScuba

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all. Just got certified down in Monterey (at the breakwater) this weekend and had a spectacular time. Now we're looking to get back in the water with some friends.

We saw a lot of shops in Monterey while we were down there. The question I had - are there some recommended dive shops near Point Lobos in Carmel? Would this be easier than hauling rental gear down? and does anyone know their gear/prices?

My other option is just to rent gear at my LDS to haul down there which would probably run me $50 for the day.

Thanks in advance!

Congrats on your certification. As for local Monterey/Carmel dive shops to rent gear from, I'm not sure. When I was still renting gear, before I purchased my set. I'd rent it at one of the LDS in the Bay Area and haul it down. A few of them have 6-7 day rental periods, so you can head down for the weekend and dive multiple days, then return the gear once you head back to the Bay Area at your leisure. Check out California Dive Center in San Bruno, they're pretty close to SFO, right off the 101. They're website is www.cadive.com Diver Dan's is also a good shop, www.diverdans.com I've rented gear from both and have been satisfied.
Let me know if I can be of any more assistance, I'm local to the Bay Area as well.

Mel
PADI Rescue Diver

Nothing real close to Pt Lobos but Aquarius on Del Monte and other shops in Monterey are only about 5 miles or so. Would give you more flexibility to rent for 5 days close to home. Nice to know Monterey shops are close though in case something is missing or broken. You do have reservations for Pt Lobos,right?

BTW if you see a regulator cover it belongs to Diverrick. He's real sore about losing it and would surely welcome it's return.

I have rented gear from both Monterey Bay Dive Center and Mantaray's. Both are right by the breakwater. MBDC seems to have a more selection of gear, but I have had good experiences with both. I have gotten fills from Aquarius, but have never rented gear (but I am sure they are good or they wouldn't survive).

I have done both the the rent where I live and take it with me, and rent in Monterey. I generally prefer the rent in Monterey route if I am only diving one day because I don't have to try to deal with returning gear on Monday. My closest dive shop closes at 5 on Saturday, isn't open on Sunday, and doesn't open til 11am on Monday but closes at 7pm. That means I have to be sure that I leave work on Monday soon enough to get home, and then run down to their shop to return stuff - a real hassle.

Both Mantaray and MDBC are open til 6 or 7pm on weekends so you can finish your dives, drop your gear off, and head home without having to deal with rinsing once you get home (my local LDS prefers the gear to be rinsed before returning) then lugging back to the store on Monday.

Never done a week long rental, that would be nice and entire week of diving.... gonna have to try that.

I sent my reservation request for April 6 the other day and haven't got a reply. I guess it takes a few days.

We have 2 tanks and are planning on renting 2 more when we arrive in Monterey. One thing I like about the Breakwater is there is someone there to fill the tanks.

I have a few free fill cards from Bamboo Reef, so I think I'll just rent from them and fill mine for free on the way home.

Back
Top Bottom