First USA trip and Point Lobos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you definitely want to dive at Pt Lobos, make sure you sign up for it plenty in advance. Weekend spots often fill 3 weeks out or more: https://endurancecui.active.com/new/events/86633504/select-race . If you can't find a buddy, posting here on ScubaBoard a few days before, or in the "Monterey Bay Area Scuba Divers Open" group on FaceBook is a good way to find a buddy. If you need a guide, I agree with the above recommendation for Randall Spangler. IMHO, Pt Lobos does not really need a guide, the diving is straightforward.

If you do have an experienced local diver buddy/guide but didn't manage to get a reservation for Pt Lobos, there is another site a mile or so up the road called Monastery Beach. This is one of my favorites. But, be warned that it is only diveable in good conditions, it can be quite dangerous in bad conditions, because of the steep shore entry, loose sand, and fast wave action. So, it's important to have help from a local diver with good knowledge of the site.

If all that's a wash, then you'll probably want to drop by the Breakwater dive site at San Carlos Beach. This is a very easy site, and on weekends you might see 50 or more divers taking classes here. Cheers

I am travelling for the first time to the USA next September and will be doing a road trip in California.

As I will be around Monterey at some point, I would like to dive Point Lobos (on a Monday). Any dive shops that take divers there?
I’m sorry, I can’t offer any info about Pt. Lobos, but congratulations! Good for you, you’ll love it there.
I hope you find a buddy to go with and it works out for you.

Any other spot that you recommend for kelp and sea life?

I should clarify, you really should dive lobos , it’s spectacular.

It’s the best around here. I’m happy to share my knowledge and resources as best I can. If schedules match I’d dive with you too, just can’t call it guiding

I only know of one person who has the state required permit to lead dives at Lobos, you can contact him here.

Phil Sammet might have the permit too but you’d need to contact him and ask.
That’s who I was thinking of.
Me, too. Randall is a great guy and great photographer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom