Poll: "TEXAS Dive Flag" License Plate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

humanphibian

Reaction score
Over the past few months, I have been working with the Director of TPWD's Offshore Reef Development program, exploring the possibility of creating a new specialty license plate. The plate that I have designed has a "Texas Dive Flag" for the illustration on the left side. I have proposed to Mr. Hammerschmidt that funds generated by the sale of these plates ($30 each annually) would be directed to his program. This sounds like a GREAT idea to me. I have ran this idea past a few friends and they agree. Now, I would like to get a concensus from a broader audience.

1. Would you be willing to purchase the plate?

2. Is the Offshore Reef Development Program an acceptable use of funds?

3. If there were more options for divers in the Gulf would you consider theTexas Gulf
Coast as a primary location for a dive vacation?

Please bear in mind that this idea is only in the beginning stages of discussion. There is
a significant deposit involved in the creation of a specialty tag. I would like to have a general idea of how this tag would be accepted by the diving public (read:taxpayers)
before entering any discussions that may lead to the actual implementation.

Thanks in advance,

Scott

Scott....having visited with you yesterday regarding this,,,I would support the program by purchasing a SCUBA specialty plate. I would love to see the TPWD Artf. Reef program really take off!! Alan

1. Yeah, sounds like a good program. I'd like more info on the reef development program is there a website to find out more info on.
2. anything to promote Texas wildlife and tourism is a good use of funds.
3. to paraphrase a old fishing line..."any day below the surface is better than being at work"...sure, I'd be interested in more diving along the Gulf coast.

humanphibian:
Over the past few months, I have been working with the Director of TPWD's Offshore Reef Development program, exploring the possibility of creating a new specialty license plate. The plate that I have designed has a "Texas Dive Flag" for the illustration on the left side. I have proposed to Mr. Hammerschmidt that funds generated by the sale of these plates ($30 each annually) would be directed to his program. This sounds like a GREAT idea to me. I have ran this idea past a few friends and they agree. Now, I would like to get a concensus from a broader audience.

1. Would you be willing to purchase the plate?

2. Is the Offshore Reef Development Program an acceptable use of funds?

3. If there were more options for divers in the Gulf would you consider theTexas Gulf
Coast as a primary location for a dive vacation?

Please bear in mind that this idea is only in the beginning stages of discussion. There is
a significant deposit involved in the creation of a specialty tag. I would like to have a general idea of how this tag would be accepted by the diving public (read:taxpayers)
before entering any discussions that may lead to the actual implementation.

Thanks in advance,

Scott

Link to TPWD Rigs to Reefs page. It has map links in the middle of the page. There are several states that have a similar program. Lack of funds, I believe, had something to do with Texas loosing the bid for the Oriskany to the Florida program. This is what kinda got the whole ball rolling with me. That would have been nice to have in our back yard!

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fish/reef/artreef.htm

OOOPPSS, forgot the address.

I would love to see development of the state's artificial reef program; however, I am also somewhat of a realist.

Texas has muddy water problems. Yes, on a really good day, you can get decent vis off the coast, but how often do we get really good days within short day trip range.

Cozumel is so close and so easy.

TwoBit

i would be willing to get one

I'd get two (one for each vehicle!!)

Back
Top Bottom