Poll Time!! When you go diving, do you make a point to get your log signed/stamped?

Do you get your log signed/stamped after every dive?

• Yes! Every time! Its important!

Votes: 25 18.5%
  • No! No one touches my log book but me!

Votes: 36 26.7%
  • Sometimes.. If its easy to do..

Votes: 50 37.0%
  • What?!? We are supposed to keep logs?!?!

Votes: 24 17.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't have anyone sign my logbook. My feeling is there is no scuba police, so what is the point. If anyone ever asks to go through my log book (which has never happened), they can either choose to believe it or not.

That said, I think keeping a log book is a fantastic idea. I started hiking/camping/backpacking many years before scuba diving, and I really wish I had some sort of log to jog my memory.

I checked the "No, no one touches my logbook!" box, but the tone of the option is misleading. My answer would more appropiately belong in a "No, why bother?" option.

It isn't that I wouldn't allow anyone to see or write in my log, but I just don't see the point of adding "witness" signatures.

My log, such as it is, is my record of relevant dive data, such as water temp and whether a particular wetsuit was OK, and also a souvenir of diving highlights, unusual sightings and the like.

I don't separately log each dive, nor do I do it in any consistant way. If I think something worth recording happened, I do so. If nothing special happened, I might note the date and site, or not even that.

On the subject, how DO agencies verify dive numbers should someone want to go for a certification requiring x number of dives?

Instructor's discretion.

funkcanna:
On the subject, how DO agencies verify dive numbers should someone want to go for a certification requiring x number of dives?

I would check your log book. I would not check for signatures. A dive not logged is a dive not made.

My log book has become a place for the names of ScubaBoard members that I've met and dived with, not so much for a record but as a memento of the dives and divers :)

My Instructor has signed my log book for every open water dive for classes

stamp? .. got one :D
So_Cal_25mm.jpg

My Log is on my computer.. I don't want anyone stamping my computer.

I ask everytime...I'm in the Master Scuba program..once I get the 50 logged dives I probably won't worry to much. It's just my luck that i'll be asked whe i want to go on a dive where it's neccessary to prove it.
M

keep a log....it's good to have memories

The only time I ask for signatures is training dives. I have never asked a dive buddy to sign my log, nor has anyone ever asked me to sign there's.

Stamps from Dive Shops or Boats is another matter. If it's a new shop or boat that I'm diving with for the first time and they have a stamp available (most do), I think it's interesting to get their stamp on my log book page. It adds something to the enjoyment of looking back at the places I have dived over the years.

A dive not logged is a dive not made.
So.....if you die while diving, since you never logged the dive, then you didn't really die?? Or maybe you died, but it wasn't a diving accident, since it wasn't logged, so no dive occurred....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom