Pony band - which one and other Q's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mdsd:
:33:
After reviewing many posts on this board, I am zeroing in on a config for my redundant air source.

Strapping a 13cf to the side of my AL80 with a weight pouch on the other side of the AL80 to balance the load.

Some questions:
1. What is the best band for the 13cf tank? (I would like quick release because I will only use the 13cf for deep dives (>60 ft) or new-buddy dives.)
2. What is the proper orientation for the 13cf tank? Up or down?
3. What is the most cost affordable option for a pressure gauge for the 13cf?
4. What is the most cost affordable option for the first stage?
5. What is the most cost affordable option for the second stage?

Zeagle has a new pony band attachment strap. I just ordered a pair. I think the price will be only about $35-45.00. Very secure, In the example I saw, you could pick up the pony and elevate the whole BC and Tank system. Why not bump up to a 19cf, same diameter I believe an only a few inches longer. I think if you just do a google search on Zeagle you'll find it in their website. :42:

On the keep the pony on or off:

Do U have 2 regultors or more? If U have 2 regs, 1 regs attached to your main tank and 1 attached to the pony, when your buddy swims over for OOA situation would U turn on the air then, that sounds risky(I am not discussing which reg to donate). Turning on the air sound like an extra step when hell already broke out.

mdsd:
:33:
After reviewing many posts on this board, I am zeroing in on a config for my redundant air source.

Strapping a 13cf to the side of my AL80 with a weight pouch on the other side of the AL80 to balance the load.

Some questions:
1. What is the best band for the 13cf tank? (I would like quick release because I will only use the 13cf for deep dives (>60 ft) or new-buddy dives.)
2. What is the proper orientation for the 13cf tank? Up or down?
3. What is the most cost affordable option for a pressure gauge for the 13cf?
4. What is the most cost affordable option for the first stage?
5. What is the most cost affordable option for the second stage?

I always preferred the solid Highland Mills bands to securely fasten a pony to a single primary tank. It's one bolt to tighten/loosen for a tank switch. You can pick up you entire rig by the pony with this band system.

I would make sure you can access your valve. My preference for a pony/single tank was upside down right ride. I could easily reach back and access the valve. I used Sherwood regs at the time (still do on my deco bottles) so this means bottle must be on for the entire dive. (The dry bleed system is a one way valve but I would not trust the valve under pressure).

I opted for the Scuba Pro mini SPG for about $100. There are many reg systems out there now for short money. Check the reviews and do some research and pick your favorite.

--Matt

ScubaMarc:
On the keep the pony on or off:

Do U have 2 regultors or more? If U have 2 regs, 1 regs attached to your main tank and 1 attached to the pony, when your buddy swims over for OOA situation would U turn on the air then, that sounds risky(I am not discussing which reg to donate). Turning on the air sound like an extra step when hell already broke out.

Have two second stage regs, one on main, one on pony. From all the folks I have talked with -- it sounds like the proper procedure is to leave the air off on the pony (to prevent free flow impact, etc.). The pony is oriented so that it can be turned on quickly and the second reg is positioned for quick purge and insertion. The bottle is for emergency ascent for myself. All other out of air situations would be handled using my alt air reg for sharing. Proper dive planning would account for adequate reserve. Pony volume is not part of the calculation, ie, it is truly reserve for my own emergency. The pony will not be separated at depth. It remains attached to main tank. It is only removed on boat.

Picked up a 13cf cylinder, XSScuba x-bracket, extra tank strap and a single weight pouch. Simple and removable.

Added Aqualung Calypso reg. Great price from LDS.

Thanks for all the input and leads.

:scubadive

oversea:
Is there any arguments against slinging it like a stage bottle?

I think as long as you have chest and hip d-rings to attach it to, slinging it should work great.

I just got a 13cu pony and will dive with it slung on my left side. With the small tank, I used a small bolt clip on top, thinner line and made the top loop tight to the valve. The small clip, thinner line and tight loop, puts the tank closer in to my body which should minimize drag.

ronrosa:
I think as long as you have chest and hip d-rings to attach it to, slinging it should work great.

I just got a 13cu pony and will dive with it slung on my left side. With the small tank, I used a small bolt clip on top, thinner line and made the top loop tight to the valve. The small clip, thinner line and tight loop, puts the tank closer in to my body which should minimize drag.

Hi, thanks for the input, but I think I used the wrong terminology. I was referring to the way OMS shows their argon bottles etc., clipped off to the backplate.

I want to do it this way because the cost to sling it is far less then all the kits that are out there for pony bottles, plus, it would'nt even be attached to my tank. I would think it would give me the oppurtunity to counterbalance my rig as needed and will never be effected by the size and material of my tank because it is more part of my gear rather than my tank. Does this make sense?

oversea:
Hi, thanks for the input, but I think I used the wrong terminology. I was referring to the way OMS shows their argon bottles etc., clipped off to the backplate.

I'm no expert, but I think the concern about clipping to the backplate is the inability to take the pony off underwater.

Back
Top Bottom