Pony band - which one and other Q's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ronrosa:
I'm no expert, but I think the concern about clipping to the backplate is the inability to take the pony off underwater.

I would'nt be able to remove most of the pony brackets I have seen. Actually, I think I can reach the perimeter holes on my plate. Thats a good point and want to check that out this evening.

mdsd:
Have two second stage regs, one on main, one on pony. From all the folks I have talked with -- it sounds like the proper procedure is to leave the air off on the pony (to prevent free flow impact, etc.). The pony is oriented so that it can be turned on quickly and the second reg is positioned for quick purge and insertion. The bottle is for emergency ascent for myself. All other out of air situations would be handled using my alt air reg for sharing. Proper dive planning would account for adequate reserve. Pony volume is not part of the calculation, ie, it is truly reserve for my own emergency. The pony will not be separated at depth. It remains attached to main tank. It is only removed on boat.
Just a couple of comments:
I've been using a 13 cu.ft. pony on a quickdraw and button SPG for about 8 months now (after observing an OOA situation), and it does give me greater confidence in my diving. Doc Intrepid's pontifications are pretty well thought out. Relying on a pony for emergencies can't be done blindly. I learned a lesson from DandyDon's OOA experience over in the Accidencts and Incidences forum. He found himself in an OOA situation with a deco obligation. He turned to his pony when he needed it and it was EMPTY. Since then I understand he's gone to a slung pony with a short SPG so he can better monitor his pony.

I dive with two 2nd stages on my main tank, and one on my pony. My intent is to switch to my pony if my buddy has an emergency and hand him my primary, or - as Doc Intrepid mentions - stuff happens and I have a problem myself. My pony's 2nd stage is on a bungy necklace close around my neck. In my drysuit I have a real difficulty accessing my ponys 1st stage, so I turn it on before the dive and leave it on, but I always check the pressure before every dive. I hadn't considered a freeflow, so maybe I should reconsider this practice. Technically since I'm using a quickdraw I suppose I could remove my pony if I had to hand it off, but like you I have no intention of handing my pony to anybody.

mdsd: I hear what you're saying, but I think volume HAS to be a consideration for your pony. As Doc Intrepid says you need to run some equations about what your air consumption would be in an emergency, and how long it might take you to safely surface from your max depth. I intend to upgrade my 13cu.ft. to 19 when funds clear up (because a 19 cu.ft. is the same diameter as a 13 and I don't have to change my mounting setup). Even then I certainly wouldn't rely on it in any kind of overhead environment, and most of my dives have been above 90fsw or so.

Above all, diving with a pony should not in any way deter you from being a good buddy, which (I believe) is what it's primary detractors are worried about.

Jerry

geraldp:
mdsd: I hear what you're saying, but I think volume HAS to be a consideration for your pony. As Doc Intrepid says you need to run some equations about what your air consumption would be in an emergency, and how long it might take you to safely surface from your max depth. I intend to upgrade my 13cu.ft. to 19 when funds clear up (because a 19 cu.ft. is the same diameter as a 13 and I don't have to change my mounting setup). Even then I certainly wouldn't rely on it in any kind of overhead environment, and most of my dives have been above 90fsw or so.

Above all, diving with a pony should not in any way deter you from being a good buddy, which (I believe) is what it's primary detractors are worried about.

Jerry

I hear what you and Doc are saying. Good info. I've run the numbers and everything is within dive limits. Buddy system in place and running smoothly.

Would it make sense to remove my alt reg on the main tank and use the reg on the pony for alternate air source? This would be an attempt to streamline and still have two regs, but now independent sources.

In an OOA, I would give up my main reg and I would switch to the pony. The next step is to ascend.

I guess the question is 3 regs or 2? Does it matter?

I utilize the Scubapro Air II version of the BC inflator alternate when utilizing a tank mounted pony. It does have the advantage of eliminating the hose for the usual alternate air set up. However, the BC inflator alternate comes with it's own set of disadavantages. Imagine using this alternate to breath from during an acent while having to vent expanding gas from your BC. Some BC models help the situation with a right shoulder dump valve. Do a search on using the BC inflator alternate. There are some strong opinions out there.

As previously mentioned I attach a hoseless transmitter to the first stage of the pony reg. Thus I can monitor the pony psi from my wrist computer. That being said, I still put an analog pressure gauge on the pony between each dive. I do not totally trust those transmitters.

If you cannot read the pony's spg during the dive, do you really know the tank pressure.
To prevent a second stage free flow, I dive the pony with an adjustable 2nd stage. The 2nd stage is kept restricted until needed.

As previously posted by Doc Intrepid, know your breathing rate (SAC rate), depth limitations imposed by the size of the pony and your ability to continue calm measured breathing during stress.

Regardless of the limitations of a pony, I still maintain a diver is better to have one than not.

Cobra852:
I was considering using an Octo inflator similar to THIS and getting rid of my Octo when adding a pony also i looked at THIS for a guage on my pony. Any coments are appreciated
I have a similar setup (although I am using the Atomic Aquatics SS1 instead of the Zeagle RKO). This gives me three 2nd stage regulators. The advantage of this is if you travel and don't want to carry your pony bottle on the airplane you still are left with a safe 2nd reg.

Two things to be aware of... 1) you should practice OOA with your buddy using your regs so you are comfortable in an emergency. I notice that when I'm at depth my two safe-2nd regs don't breath nearly as well as my primary 2nd (an Atomic Aquatics M1) and 2) check your button SPG on your pony before every dive to ensure yourself that you haven't lost it all.

Jerry

I was looking at the button guage as a surface check for the pony. I can't afford a hoseless computer for it.

The pony is to be used for emergency's only so the air wont be considered in dive planning.

Also I thought that a regular hose guage for the pony would be more trouble then it was worth.

Yea the hoseless spg computer read out for the pony is way to much cash for what you need. I just go that way because I can borrow my wife's when I use the pony.
The button gauge is practical and priced right.
The tech divers often put a full size spg with a short hose (5-6inches) on their pony-stage. They band the short hose to the cylinder. With the banding they eliminate the hose. The full size spg is easy to read. Since they sling the pony-stage bottle they can read the spg while diving.

That being said, I see where you want to go with your pony.
Exactly where I went a few years ago. Keep going there.

Better to have that small pony than not. Just remember it's limitations.

Cobra 852,
From your profile I see you are in Atlanta, yet, "shamelessly" advertise for ScubaToys.
I lived in Dallas for 6 years. My office was 15 min from Scuba Toys. Sometimes to get my Scuba fix I would visit Larry's shop during lunch. Not only does he do a nice mail order business, his walk in activity is great. He has a nice shop and loads of inventory to check out during lunch.
:crafty:
Seven months ago I traded Dallas and the real world for the Florida Keys. Best decesion of my life

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom