pony bottle options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To be fair "going really deep" is realatve, for someone that is used to go down to, let's say, 16 feet, 49 feet can be really deep, and still within his certification.

A pony bottle on those depths for recreational diving seems to me to be unessesary, since on those depths you should be able to do a nice CESA on one breath of air or the 20 breath of air that a spare air provides. I am not experiensed enough to give advice about pony bottles and CESA though.

Last edited:
Has anybody asked how "deep" he plans to go? Deep for you may mean something different than him and not require "technical training for deep dives involving advanced nitrox and decompression"? Maybe deep for him is 80 feet.
Good question, according to topic starter previous posts :
13CF should be plenty even If I ran out at maximum depth.
I do not wish to make a panic accent
Let's do simple math (sorry for metric, it is more easy for me):
I will calculate emergency air use as 30 liters per minutes. When diver out of air it is EMERGENCY, but let assume that topic started in perfect physical and mental condition (as solo diver should be, I think) and uses only 20 liters per minutes in emergency case.
"Water" size of 13 cf is 1.9 liter and it is allowed to be filled 207 bar, so total maximum volume is 1.9 x 207 = 393 liters
Due he plans "normal" ascending, I believe it means with safety stop and not faster than 9 meters per minutes.
Safety stop 3 minutes on 6 meters takes 20 x 1.6 x 3 = 96 liters

393 - 96 = 297, so maximum average deep is 8.2 meters, so maximum deep is 16.4 meters.
8.2 x (16.4/ 9 ) x 20 = 298.8 liters
As you see I calculated all numbers above as maximum good as possible, due in diving we calculate with reserve.
So safe deep for out of air situation with 13 cf tank is maximum 10-12 meters, which is about 35-40ft.
Deeper than 40 ft, you for sure will need to miss at least safety stop and probably ascend faster, which may cause for issues, that you try to prevent :)
I will not go solo even for this deep, as I believe that
truly redundant air supply

is your buddy. :)
Hope no mistakes in math.....

That's not adding up. Even at 66 ft, with a safety stop factored in with a sac of 1.0, you're left with 8.5 cu ft to ascend, that's one minute delay at 66ft with 5.5 cuft left for travel ascent. That's very conservative and more than enough, IMO.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

keep in mind that a 13cf pony bottle amounts to about 500psi in an aluminum 80.

If you have a problem that requires you to use this pony bottle, it will probably get you to the surface if everything goes well. If you have a secondary problem, are a bit slow on the ascent, or are breathing heavily due to stress, then you might not make it.

Agreed...personally, I prefer a 19 when using a pony. That's for any depth that a cesa is undesirable, usually in the 70 to 80 range.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

In response to the OPs original question, I mount my Pony on my main tank. I have the second stage around my neck with a latex hose leash, and the pressure gauge on my belt on a D-ring. I liked the compactness of those mini gauges that fit directly on the first stage, but since the Pony's on my back, I want to know how much air is in it, so I went with a regular gauge on a hose.

pony01.jpg

If the Wright brothers were as cautious and self rightous as some people here, they would still be looking for a flight instructor...

The Wright Brothers would have created their own forum.

It's interesting to see folks talking about CESA, then saying that a particular pony volume would no allow you to "make it". Is it really the case that if the pony runs out, you no longer have the option for a CESA? If I were at 80', and my pony quit at 30', hasn't it done the job to bring me to a safer CESA depth?

Yep...this is a fun topic indeed! :-D

To be on topic. Mounting the pony in front of you (closer to your side actually), is probably the most popular method. You can purchase pony (or "stage") rigging on some online sellers, and maybe your LDS.

OxyCheq Stage Bottle Rigging Closeout discounts on sale OxyCheq

There's an example. Do a search for "rigging a stage bottle" or "rigging a pony bottle" for some cheaper (though that link shows a pretty good value) options. Good luck, and keep your flame-proof suit on.

EDIT

After more carefully reading the OP:
OP, please take some time to consider your decision to solo dive so soon. Read up, research, and even better, get some dives in (with competent buddies) and pursue training.

Solo dives add a increased level of risk from diving with a competent buddy (whole other bucket of worms), so you need to mitigate those risks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom