Pony Bottle Philosophy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bosch

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I sometimes consider a pony bottle, but rarely see them used by recreational divers. I wouldn't want it to be a reason to become cavalier about monitoring my console (and I don't think it would).

What are the other considerations that keep people from using them (and conversely, those that choose to carry them)? Is it just cost that's a hurdle?

A lot of "holiday divers" dont consider redundancy at all so have never even thought about maybe needing one.

Generally only more serious divers who have the understanding of what can actually go wrong consider getting one. Only a small % of those actually do get one.

Cost isnt a real issue when you think of the total cost of the rest of the dive gear. Weight isnt an issue and so on.

Purely most people think they dont "need" to carry one or its not worth the effort or as told by training "your buddy will help you in OOA" (which i think is a potentially lethal belief). In my view their thinking is incorrect.

* - referring here to redundant air source in general. Could be pony or twins or whatever depending on type of diving.

I Agree With string The Cost Of A Pony Setup Is Minimal As Far As Scuba Equipment Goes. I Always Dive With A 13 Cf Pony ;solo Or With A Buddy. In An Ooa Situation A Redundant Air Source Is Your Best Option.imho.

A lot depends on the depths you dive and where you dive. Cold water diving is a different sport than warm water. Diving at recreational depths in clear tropical water, they are not required in my opinion.

Not sure i agree.

Out of air at 25m in the tropics is just the same as out of air at 25m in the north atlantic - you still cant breathe the water. That said i admit colder water increases risk of freeflows and potential buddy separation.

I think that a good buddy team and situational awareness mitigates the danger in most recreational situations. That said, I would never tell someone not to use one.

Good buddy team can indeed reduce the chance of it but even so i dont like placing my life in the hands of anyone else when i have a choice not to.

Warm clear water tends to encourage more slack buddy procedures, divers tend to be further apart, out of reach or looking elsewhere. Interesting exercise is to breathe out fully and then see how far you can swim before needing to breathe - if a buddy is further away than that you just "died". Shocks a few people when they try that.

Bosch:
What are the other considerations that keep people from using them (and conversely, those that choose to carry them)? Is it just cost that's a hurdle?

This argument pops up all the time with me. Not buying that cos its too expensive and I dont need one. Usually have that conversation just as they blow a HP hose or get a 1st stage free flow u/water. Question is, how much is your life worth?

Having said that, I personally do not like ponies because you always end up tilted to one side or the other. Presfer twins myself as they balance me out in the water, but then you need to have proper mounting and shut down procedures training.

Diver Dennis:
So you think that all divers should be using doubles or a pony?

a very good and emotive question to whcih both sides will have their point of view.

At the end of the day, all i will say is you cant have too much air, but you can have too little!

Back
Top Bottom