Pony setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just finished my pony bottle. I picked up a 19cf a used serviced 1 St stage. My old serviced octo and I'm super happy with it.19 cf is perfect for my applications and maybe yours.

Sent from my DROID X2

Some good suggestions above. The H2O system is an interesting, ready to go package - but limiting. I do like using regular regs, etc.

I'm by no means as experienced as most on this board and try to expand my knowledge every time that I think about diving, but I did a lot of research & calculations and here is what I chose. If you are going to do it and want a redundant air source, I would go with a 30 at least. From the rec limit with some time to catch your breath and figure out what is going on in an emergency, a 30cf should give you enough gas to safely take your time, ascend, do your safety stop, and surface. Whether you decide to sling or mount your pony, I think that the most important thing is to practice in a controlled environment and know how to use your setup. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

One option is to use the octo on your pony. You need another first. Your dive is over if you need to share air or your primary fails but it is an option.

A used reg is also a viable option to save $$$. Remember this is emergency backup.

Your reg needs to be serviced, but as a backup it certainly does not need to be high end. Regs breath so well these days that the difference between high end and low end is not generally noticeable. People may say they notice a difference but if they can (big if) its likely the cracking pressure adjustment.

Do you have to a pressure gauge with a hose attached or can you just mount it by the 1st stage?

I am leaning torwads a Mares Rover 12 ($179) 19cf ($120) and a mini gauge($30).

or the Zeagle Razor setup it is $150 more but I like how it is streamlined.
20 cu ft Pony Bottle - Redundant Air - Zeagle Dive Systems

I have a button gauge. They can be had much cheaper. I like them to be different than my SPG that way there is no confusion.

Sent from my DROID X2

Do you have to a pressure gauge with a hose attached or can you just mount it by the 1st stage?

I am leaning torwads a Mares Rover 12 ($179) 19cf ($120) and a mini gauge($30).

or the Zeagle Razor setup it is $150 more but I like how it is streamlined.
20 cu ft Pony Bottle - Redundant Air - Zeagle Dive Systems

The Zeagle side mount tank pouch system looks interesting. Looks a little more streamlined than my traditional 19 cu ft slung pony. I played with different mounts on the back and never liked the result. We have a lot of surge here and it always felt like someone was pulling me off balance. Slinging the pony also has the benefit of seeing the valve, which is reassuring that there's no leak.

I would try diving with some different options if you can rent first to see what feels best for you. Personally my G/F and I both sling Al40's they sit nice level and out the way during the dive but also right there if you needed it or needed to pass it off to someone else. Between the 30/40 and other tanks what I have heard is the 40's sit better in the water than others. Also I like to know that regardless where I am in the water if for some reason my main setup fail or reg free flows and wont stop etc. I can switch to my back-up and should have enough air for any dives that I do to make a safe calm ext. Slowly exit the water, swim to my exit point do my Safety stop "no deco for me yet" and exit the water. I'm sure with something smaller such as the 12-19 Would give me time to surface from depth with little to no problems but it would be an immediate slow to surface thats it.

If you check the tank's pressure before you start the dive you have what you have. It's not, in this case, part of your gas plan and as such is only for emergency use. Your pony bottle should be large enough to easily get you back to the surface from your max depth, assuming max air consumption rate due to stress. Based on this, I don't see any compelling reason to have a 6" hose on a pony bottle reg and (in my opinion) a button is all you really need.

The wife and I sling an Al13s, OMS work horse reg, and button gauge. It's only for emergency use and I've never used it (fortunately) in the water. I take it whenever I go past 60ft or dealing with sketchy "buddies."

When I first looked into them I was torn between a Al13 and an Al19. There was only a $10 difference in cost. Ultimately I decided to go with the Al13 because I can easily pack them into my dive bag along the top and still have space for the rest of my gear when flying. I just drain the tank, spin off the valve, wrap the tank in my wetsuit and pack it in checked luggage. Never had a problem.

I'd recommend just purchasing a regulator that you'd like to use for deco/stage and use it on the emergency bailout bottle for now. Then in the future when you're slinging a deco/stage you can use it there and not have to buy another "special" reg.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom