Pool depth?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

YCW

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Is there a pool depth requirement for land base open water course? I have seen the course conducted in a 4’ deep pool…

My first pool dive was in a 4' deep pool. We did basic skills kneeling on the bottom. We were actually able to swim a short distance at that depth. The next pool dive was at a 15' deep pool though.

I don't know about other agencies, but I know that for PADI, the very first confined water (pool) session takes place in shallow water, so students can just stand up if they have a problem. After that, however, for confined water sessions 2, 3, 4 & 5, there are skills and exercises which MUST be done in "water too deep to stand." A pool that is only 4 feet deep all over is not appropriate. The ideal is a pool with both shallow and deep areas.

otter-cat:
I don't know about other agencies, but I know that for PADI, the very first confined water (pool) session takes place in shallow water, so students can just stand up if they have a problem. After that, however, for confined water sessions 2, 3, 4 & 5, there are skills and exercises which MUST be done in "water too deep to stand." A pool that is only 4 feet deep all over is not appropriate. The ideal is a pool with both shallow and deep areas.

The pool is only 4' deep all over where the course was conducted, there is no deeper end...

YCW:
Is there a pool depth requirement for land base open water course? I have seen the course conducted in a 4’ deep pool…

The instructor standards would specify a minimum pool depth, yes. Each agency, YMCA NAUI SSI PADI ANDI TDI-SDI etc, would be slightly different.

If all you have locally is a 4 ft pool, then it would be possible to rope-off a shallow section of a lake, and that could be used as "confined water." There are many ways around many potential problems. It will discuss the "work-arounds" somewhere in the instructor standards.

This summer during my DM training we had absolutly no access to a pool. So we worked with students in what we called a "COW Pen" Confinined Open Water. Basically it was a ropped area off a beach into the ocean on the island of St. Barths.

bug:
This summer during my DM training we had absolutly no access to a pool. So we worked with students in what we called a "COW Pen" Confinined Open Water. Basically it was a ropped area off a beach into the ocean on the island of St. Barths.

"Confined Water" has replaced "pool" in scuba training today. Basically, this means any body of water that has "pool like conditions" with respect to ease of exit/entry, calmness, visibility, and of course shallow & deep areas.

It works. :thumb:

MoonWrasse:
It's difficult to practice ear equalization techniques in only 4 feet of water. I'd suggest finding an outfit with access to a deeper pool than a lap pool.

How would you really be able to do bouyancy exercises or OOA ascent? Or 5 point descent? I'd love to see the typical OW novice trying to hover in 4' of water. Most struggle with 12'.

I don't see any way that a 4' deep pool prepares you properly for the certification dives. :11:

SubMariner:
"Confined Water" has replaced "pool" in scuba training today. Basically, this means any body of water that has "pool like conditions" with respect to ease of exit/entry, calmness, visibility, and of course shallow & deep areas.
I heard another clause was that it was supposed to be lacking in current and such.

I have heard of a group around WPB that puts out some kind of trampoline floating behind their boat and does the confined stuff out in the OW over a 60ft deep reef that they are drifting along, the trampoline keeps the students pretty shallow though. I cant say i can completely picture it and not sure how they keep balanced on it, but i am sure if you dont have a pool or beach or lakes nearby for such training you have to improvise somehow. I am sure that they put in safeguards to make it safe, i have dove with the boat (they werent training those days) a few times and know they are safe folks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom