Portable fish/depth finder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

saintsfan

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
can anyone recommend a decent one,I just bought a bigger dinghy/inflatable, and will do some diving out of it.I need one with good greyscale capabilities for bottom terrain. My inflatable isnt a hard bottom so transom mounting is probably where I will have to put it. thanks

I have a Lowrance LMS-337 on my Avon inflatable. The unit is mounted on the seat via a RAM mount, and the antenna mast (2 1/2 ft. PVC pipe) doubles as the dive flag holder. It uses a motorcycle battery (10 Ah?) inside a Pelican case for juice, stuffed inside one of those underseat bags that West Marine sells. It works good, but it's not as compact as some of the true "portables."

Transom mounting is the default.

Humminbird has kits to make their less expensive fish finders portable so the transducer
clamps on. Or you could bolt it on, but you'd need to figure out how to waterproof
the display end of the cable when it wasn't plugged it.

And less expensive will probably be fine for recreational dive depths.

Danobee has the right idea for power. I'd be sure to use a gel cell or an AGM battery,
not the typical flooded cell battery (so the acid doesn't leak when your buddy turns
the Pelican upside down), and also find a deep cycle battery.

I am looking for a completely cantained portable,my inflatable is only 11' and I dont have a battery on board and dont want one just because of space,I even bought one of the transom mount fuel tanks that hang on the transom for room

I was looking at a 2004 Cabella's catalog .There is a unit called "Fishin' Buddy" by Bottom Line. Its self contained and has what appears to be a transom mount.
they say it will read to 240' . It is listed for $175.00 . I was looking for something that might work on my 12 1/2' Avon. I would like to hear from someone who may have tried one. Good luck------Ron

Ronald L:
I was looking at a 2004 Cabella's catalog .There is a unit called "Fishin' Buddy" by Bottom Line. Its self contained and has what appears to be a transom mount.
they say it will read to 240' . It is listed for $175.00 . I was looking for something that might work on my 12 1/2' Avon. I would like to hear from someone who may have tried one. Good luck------Ron

Cabellas has three different models of Bottom Line Fishin' Buddys.

Bottom Line is not a well-known brand.

Do your homework, Google is your friend.

I've used the original model "Fishin' Buddy" I borrowed from a friend about 5 years ago. As I remember Cabella's was the source for his. I'm suspecting the models have been "improved" since then, and I don't know any specs on the unit I borrowed.
It ran on "C" batteries.

I was not into diving at the time, but the unit seemed to do a pretty good job of showing the depth and bottom structure. Probably used it in 45' max depth.

KYDan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom