Poseidon Cyklon 2950

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I recently purchased a used Cyklon with a 2950 1st stage. After disassembly, I noticed a black plastic plate with a hole in top of the 1st stage. The part is not in the diagram. The hole leads to a port marked "R". Does anyone know the part number and what it's for?

Attachments

• 20240417_161736.jpg
    20240417_161736.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 29
I recently purchased a used Cyklon with a 2950 1st stage. After disassembly, I noticed a black plastic plate with a hole in top of the 1st stage. The part is not in the diagram. The hole leads to a port marked "R". Does anyone know the part number and what it's for?
Don't have an answer to your question, but the 'R' port is for your primary second stage. It provides a venturi assist for higher flow rates. I'm almost certain that that "hole" has something to do with this venturi assist.

rx7diver

It is known as a #3587 "Restrictor screw for first stage No. 3585 Cyklon 5000" -- #12 on the diagram below; had to dig through a few of my manuals to find it . . .

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-04-18 at 12.47.40 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-04-18 at 12.47.40 AM.png
    77.9 KB · Views: 14
I'm not intimately familiar with Poseidon's regulators, but I assume it has the same function as in a few other diaphragm first stages.

DFC.png

The design takes advantage of some clever aerodynamics (venturi effect), which work as follows. Air that flows from the direction of the seat towards the LP outlet passes by this hole. Simplifying a bit, as the air passes this hole the relative air pressure in that bore will drop relative to the air passage towards the LP outlet. This drop in relative pressure creates sort of a "suction" force on the air underneath the diaphragm, pulling it down, thus pulling the diaphragm down.
This in turn means that intermediate pressure drops less on inhalation as the system becomes more stable/reactive.

Other manufacturers have similar system, Mares for example calls it DFC - Dynamic flow control.

I'm sure this video can explain a lot better what my poor wording and drawing try to convey.

Thank you all for the replies.

I started to wrap my head around this, and you all are correct, it's a venturi assist for the primary second.

I also have a 2960 with Jetstreams. The hole is there, but no restrictor plate. I guess the 2950 has the ristrictor due to the higher IP of the Cyklon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom